Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Insurance company have given me a 2015 C Class 220D to run around in which is very kind of them. had it two weeks or so whilst sorting out my car and awaiting a payout. Anyhow TBH i prefer my 9-3.

Why? Well ignoring the obvious that my Aero is quicker and handles better and putting this aside the Merc dash is too fiddly with pretty much everything controlled by ay a mousepad and large wheel type mouse on top of that, looks wierd by ergonomically it makes sense. OK, you do get used to this, well sort of but i came out to it after shopping last night and it was raining, hit the auto demist function and it takes easily 3 x as long as my Saab so sat there waiting to see anything out of the car for a while, the seats are nowhere near as comfortable and supportive and whilst the build quality is excellent in makes a pingpong ball bouncing noise when you switch between demist and auto climate which is irritating to say the least.OK, few things that are better in my own car, is this enough on its own? well yes it is really, the Merc is 12 years younger and whilst packed with tech most of it is purely toys not functional or required or makes the driving experience better.

Yes, you can set the engine, steering and suspension up to suit yourself with presets, sport being the most suited to me, sport + being jerky and actually uncomfortable to use and it certianly doesnt feel any quicker or sharper.

It has a speed limiter and also cruise control, really? you do not need both!

Oh and it has a buzzer that goes off when it thinks you are too close to the car in front - well guess what buzzer, you do not take into account road conditions, traffic levels, etc which i do and i know how far i need to be behind the car in front.

Like the reversing camera but i find it detracts from using my senses and mirrors and simply twisting my neck.

To sum up, its capable but the car has too much tech and tbh if you need all these gadgets you probably shouldn't be driving anyhow.

RWD is nice and generally i choose it over fwd every day but then again i grew up driving them and usually have one kicking around to play with although currently looking for a nice 996/997

C class - not really for me ,it's nice, it's capable and all that but i prefer drivers cars. Looking forward to getting my 2003 Aero back.

Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
you could argue that you are sounding like an old person whos just been given a computer for christmas that doesnt like being told "computer says no" lol

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The difference is that i do not need a computer to drive my car, i am still more than capable. The use or misue of technology is encouraging less driver skills/roadcraft and just as importantly awareness as people rely on gadgets instead of instincts, experience and skill, maybe that suits the less able drivers or perhaps they should not be driving.....

as a side issue be interesting to see how these cars fare when 13 years old and the gadgetry starts to go wrong and the price it costs to replace, am guessing its not going to be cheap, a vehicle is a harsh enviroment for electronics at the best of times 13 years and 100k's worth of heat/cold vibration, etc will take its toll...some marques will fare better than others i guess but going to be some very expensive parts and repairs and i bet the dealerships will be rubbing their hands with glee.

·
Administrator
3,084 Posts
I think some of these new cars are made for the person who wants to be the first in there"hood"with the car with the latest gizmos.it doesn't make you a better driver.all these gizmos.it makes you lazy.because they are under the impression the car will help them out of a situation.
These are ok if leased .cos as you say what are these going to be like when the technology goes wrong.and how much will it cost to replace the defective component.
I leased a Mercedes sprinter and it had a whopping great stereo with a screen like an old radio gram .that I could never seem to fathom out .but the inductors and wash wipe on one stalk was a good idea .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts