Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
Long time lurker and made a few posts in the past, but having sold my 2003 9-3 aero a year ago I am now looking at buying a newer model, namely a 2009 9-3 1.8t.
The car in question is a 6-speed petrol 2litre low pressure turbo.

I did a quick search with no results but have a feeling this question may have been answered already - happy for a link or replies here...

A 2litre petrol engine with a turbo that is only producing 150bhp - is the turbo sapping engine power? ;)
Seriously though, I'd be looking to re-map the car shortly after buying it in order to bring it up to over 200bhp - as I like the ability to overtake safely on the many country roads where I live.

Is this easily done and would it compromise the reliability too much?

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
from my understanding on the facelift cars the 2 litre engine on its own would generate around 130 - 140bhp, the 1.8t has a turbo thats mapped to 150bhp so a slight increase but the 1.8t is the lowest facelift version in petrols so 150bhp as a minimum is good in a car range lol (as they dropped the 1.8i which did use a 1.8 litre engine which gave 120bhp),

the 2.0t version is the exact same parts but with a different map that gives 175bhp, its only when you move to the aero model that it uses a bigger turbo and other parts to give the 215bhp

hirsch, maptun and indi people like noobtune would quite happily take the 1.8t / 2.0t to over 200bhp

the cars are built to take the extra power its more of a business case to provide the different models

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply.

Am I correct in thinking that all engines found in Saabs are cam-chain?
So the 1.8t, the 2.0t and the Aero 2.0T are all cam-chain?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
yes they are all chains rather than a belt

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Are you sure a 1.8t is a six speeder? I thought they all had 5 speed boxes?
the facelift ones are 6 i believe (auto trader does say 6 in the descriptions aswell) however having said that the convertibles are 5 speed boxes as i was dissapointed to go from a 6 to a 5 when i went from the 2.0t to 1.8t convertible

1 - 7 of 7 Posts