Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Just a few questions about doing an auto gearbox oil change on a 2008 tid, it's the 6 speed gearbox.

Does anyone know the quantity ie how many litres these box's take?
Seems to be a big thing about not mixing oils and the gearbox are very specific about what oil is used any oil that's are recommended would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Graeme

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
I'm not familiar with these cars as I am from the states but if it is the Aisin 6 speed that is used in the 2.8T V6 cars like mine this info might help you. I have 4 services on these tranny's and usually, I needed around 4 bottles of the Saab OEM fluid. I get all my trans fluid from eEuroparts.com, and have never had any problems with their services. These trans have around 8 quarts in them at a time but you can only drain out around 3-4 at a time. Also, I know that there are two methods you can find online, one being filling through the fill plug, and one through the vent hose, I tried doing it through the hose once to save time and all I did was make a mess.

Edit: Also I have never messed around with bringing the car up to temp and measuring the level using the little tube on the outer drain plug, I just measure what I take out and put it back in unless there was a fluid leak.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi all

Just a few questions about doing an auto gearbox oil change on a 2008 tid, it's the 6 speed gearbox.

Does anyone know the quantity ie how many litres these box's take?
Seems to be a big thing about not mixing oils and the gearbox are very specific about what oil is used any oil that's are recommended would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Graeme
According to WIS (Screen shot attached) for the AF40. Note that Literage is including the torque converter. Mineral.
Rectangle Operating system Font Line Screenshot

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, this should be the same trans. It's an Aisin-made unit. I have heard that either the Saab OEM Fluid or the Aisin fluid will work. A cheaper alternative is some fords have used this transmission in the states and there is a ford Motorcraft part number as well. You can find more looking into it on youtube and this forum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As these are small compact gearboxes due to these cars being front wheel drive, they have very hard lives and fluid should be changed every 40k.
And with conventional rear wheel drives don't believe the bullshit from BMW or other manufacturers who say that their auto transmissions are sealed for life and will never need to have the fluid changed - its a service item like engine oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts