Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Now this has doubtless been discussed before, but I've been trawling this and other forums/search engines for a while now, and cant actually find a definitive answer.

OK I'm wanting to add front door speakers to my 56 plate (2007) 9-3 sport saloon.
I have identified the door wiring inside the door, but am confused as to the final location of the other end of this wiring.

I have checked for the wiring to the rear of the car (where the amp should be) and it is not there.
I have found a forum and even a photo (cant locate the link now :( ) that suggested the wires were by the bonnet lever in the drivers foot well, I cannot find them there either.
And I have found a thread suggesting there is a loose connector behind the AC control in the dashboard, I have not looked for this yet.

Could anyone make my like simple and suggest where the four wires for the front door speakers end up in my car?

Also some threads suggest that early Astra adapter rings are compatible, is this true, or do I need to buy a pair of original speakers to get the brackets?

I have a pair of SPX-177R's that will be going in the front, and a pair of SPR-69c 6x9 for the shelf.
An Amp will follow, but need to get the wiring sorted to the doors first.

My car is the face lifted interior (with the fairly standard 4 speaker dash+rear speaker setup), not the pre 2007 complicated audio model, just to state that again.

Thanks
Jon

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, just found another post on UKSaabs, and they have photos indicating that the speaker wiring on his 07 9-3 doesn't go past the door connector.
http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=115314&start=20'
If that's the case, it will be a pain, but I suppose I just need to check that.
I did look at that a while ago, but couldn't get a clear view of the vehicle connector.
guess I just need to try harder!
But if that's what I'm dealing with, then I guess it will have to be new wiring.
Funny thing is the car has had speakers fitted in the front doors before, as the grilles have been removed in the past and 6.5 speakers screwed on to the door card. But I guess they may have just slung the wiring round the corner without going into the door. Nothing would surprise me.
Must take a better look at those door connectors tomorrow. They definitely haven't been drilled as in the post above, as I've demounted them to look at them, but...
rgds
Jon

·
Premium Member
5,133 Posts
As far as i'm aware there should be an amp in the rear for the doors..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as i'm aware there should be an amp in the rear for the doors..
Well that's where it should be for the premium 150 system, but the wiring does not appear to be there in the rear recess.
I've had most of that area apart, and the two flying leads for the amp are nowhere to be found.
Jon

·
Premium Member
5,133 Posts
i was under the impression they'd put the door speakers as standard in the MY07>> cars but obviously not..unless it was the early ones and the later ones did..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That may be the case, and possibly the root of all my confusion.
Cos the 56 plate was the old bodywork with the new interior as far as I can tell,
so dont know what half way house choices were made.
I'll hopefully get the chance to have a good look tommorow.

Still need to locate the adapters though, looks like I'll have to stump up for a second hand set of speakers, just to pull the adapters off the back.
Thanks again
Jon

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to confirm on my car (9-3 Sport Saloon late06/early07), with the new dashboard and the old body...

DOES NOT have front speaker wiring past the hinge connector on the door.

I checked tonight, so I will need to run completely new cables to get the door speakers working.
Rgds
Jon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.