Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2006, v6, automatic, 9-3 Aero convertible
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all, I've seen this has been covered before but I'm not all that familiar with Saab electrics so bear with me.
short story, picked up a 2006 9.3 Aero (V6 turbo) automatic, convertible as a non runner (stupid clean ride couldn't help myself).
Previous owner (I surmise) just gave up with the electrical gremlins.
1st: I KNOW (markings on the back of ecu) that a boneyard engine ecu was installed. (married to the car or not? I have no idea)
I also know the ignition switch was changed.
Beyond that I have no idea what else they could've changed by throwing parts at it.
Good battery, all fuses are good.
The problem(s), No crank with key (it will crank by jumping the starter relay), No start, no spark, even when jumping the starter relay.
Ignition keys does turn to start position.
every time the key is turned to "on" the wipers come on even in the down/off position.
lights, radio, dash lights all work,
Convertible top went down/open the other night by itself while I was just sitting in it with the key on, it would not go back up/closed.
I do have a Tech II coming next week. What control units need to be "married" to the car? I have NO idea what else he/she might have changed besides the engine ecu.
Thank you, Bob

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the ecm is not programmed to car. P-bus between ecm and tcm runs thru, abs/tcs module, can set 1895/1896 codes. bypass by joining bus in and bus out wires together, solves many concerns including possible no-start.
Thank you!
Now for the stupid question since I'm not all that adept at bus systems. How do i join the bus in and bus out wires together? Where/which ones?
Thank you again.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, just got back in town and hooked up the Tech 2 I got while away.
Here's the results (good bad or indifferent?) :)
HELP!!
Having problems with my 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero Convertible 2.8 V6.
Bought it as a non runner (previous owner gave up and I have NO idea how many modules he changed, other than the ecu for sure)
I can get type 1 security access for Global TIS.
Whenever I try to add/program any modules it chugs away until I get the following error. "No/Lost communication with ECU".
See pics for codes (I "only" have 34!)
Computer Gadget Font Computer monitor Display device

Font Display device Electric blue Electronic device Multimedia

Gadget Font Display device Electric blue Electronic device

Font Display device Gadget Electric blue Computer

Font Computer Personal computer Display device Gadget

Gadget Font Sky Rectangle Display device

Gadget Font Gas Display device Electric blue

Gadget Computer Font Personal computer Display device
Personal computer Font Computer monitor Gadget Electric blue
Gadget Font Sky Rectangle Display device
Computer Gadget Font Computer monitor Display device
Font Computer Personal computer Display device Gadget
Font Display device Electric blue Electronic device Multimedia
Gadget Font Gas Display device Electric blue
Font Display device Gadget Electric blue Computer

Personal computer Font Computer monitor Gadget Electric blue

Gadget Computer Font Personal computer Display device

· Registered
4 Posts
UEC is none vital codes. Need new CIM with new (used) key to swap. Also check battery voltage. Dips below 12v and uncommon fault codes stick (ESP, CIM, ISM and ECM).

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
update....kinda. Been stupid busy at work so not much time spent on the car BUT I did find a "minor" problem. (Could be the linchpin of this entire scenario (or a BIG chunk of it). Previous owner puta new starter in it (yes NEW). while chasing down/tracing some wiring and doing resistance readings I was under the car and thought "what the hell, might as well check the starter wiring"! Checked continuity of the starter solenoid trigger wire from the fuse box to the starter. -"0"- (0 as in close enough to not worry about decimal points) THEN (for whatever reason) I left one end of the lead in the fuse box and grounded the other end against the frame! -0- again?! wth goes on here? started looking for an open spot in the wire leading to ground/chassis. couldn't find anything. Pulled the starter and checked for continuity. -0- where you'd expect to see it BUT also -0- from the solenoid trigger/energizer terminal TO THE starter CASE! starter or the solenoid has an internal short. who'd have thought it? Not I especially with a brand new starter. Maybe that's why the PO gave up it assuming the starter was ok since it was new. dunno? we'll find out when the new one gets here. hopefully in the next day or 2. Thanks all. I'll keep you updated.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well, I think I'm down to needing an ECU replaced.. Finally got some time the other day to mess with it. Tried another ECU but couldn't marry it to the car. Kept getting/error out on the Tech2, No/lost communication with ECM/ECU. (paraphrased) Checked all the pinouts to the ecu/ecm and they all check out so it SHOULD be this near as I can tell. NOW for the FUN part. The ecu that came in the car was/is not original to the car. The po had his/her mitts all over this car. What would be the best suggestion to get a GOOD new/used ecm I can marry to the car? Or can I reflash them myself then marry it to the car? 06, 2.8 V6, auto
Thanks as always!

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update, FINALLY got it going! After straightening out the wiring mess from the PO, got down to tracing all the connections. Narrowed it down to the wire harness/plug connection to the ECM/ECU! Gutted an old/dead M9 ecm so I had a way to check continuity THROUGH the connection. I had one data/p-bus and 2 coil (cyl. 1 and 5) connection not making contact THROUGH the plug in. De-pinned the female connectors in the plug, GENTLY squeezed the connector so they'd made contact with the male connectors on the ECM and POOF! EVERYTHING came back to life! Fires right up, NO DTC's AT ALL. [email protected] shows all is well. Thank you guys for all your help. Pays to be a stubborn ole guy once in awhile. NEVER give up. Happy New Year.

· Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for all the updates. I have 9-3 2.0T 2005. I have the same issues with my car right now but she will start. I have ABS/ TRACTION CONTROL lights on. She wants to stall when I give her gas but she will run til I turn it off.
Gonna mess with the car see if I can't follow some of your steps. Thanks once again for all the updates. You didn't give up. I respect that

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the updates. I have 9-3 2.0T 2005. I have the same issues with my car right now but she will start. I have ABS/ TRACTION CONTROL lights on. She wants to stall when I give her gas but she will run til I turn it off.
Gonna mess with the car see if I can't follow some of your steps. Thanks once again for all the updates. You didn't give up. I respect that
Thanks and good luck. Lot to be said for being stubborn!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts