Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 05 1.9 TID. Since I bought it on startup the steering pump has alsways been noisy (groaning/ whining) on startup however that would disapear
within a minute of starting the car.
For the last two days it's doing it non stop including on a 90 min journey. I can feel the vibration through the steering wheel and it's worse if the wheel is centered, If I steer a little either way the noise/vibration abates or stops until the steering is centred or stationary.

I have checked the fluid and it's filthy brown and I can't see where the 'max' is as there are no marks on the tank. I have also noticed at various parts of the rack it's weeping slightly- it must be slight as the level appears the same as when I bought is 3 years and 50k ago.
I'm thinking either;
1, I have a leak and the pump is cavitating
2, the pump is faulty
3, The fluid needs changing.

The pump is the one with the res/tank on top of the steering rack, behind the engine.

If I unscrew the top and look into the res/tank the fluid doesn't move around and the steering feels normal- it's not heavy or jumpy.

Can anyone offer any insights?

Many thanks.

·
Administrator
5,133 Posts
fluid has got contaminated..which is not good for the other components within the system..Pretty sure the fluid if the same as used in the petrol engine system then it should be green,CHF11S spec

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the advice. I went ahead and bought a secondhand pump from ebay and now have a new set of issues as I think the second hand part is faulty. Now the noise has gone but with the new pump the steering goes light, then heavy and if you put a little steering pressure (like you were turning the wheel slightly) the steering wheel tries to turn under its own steam but suddenly) and finally within 5 mins the pump body and fluid are so hot you can't keep your hand on for more than a second. My Nitro heli engine runs cooler than this thing. You can also hear a faint whine from the new pump and there is now a grinding sound from the steering column when it turns left or right! It's like the hydraulic pressure is intermittent. I hope my rack hasn't now gone knackered.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts