Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. No doubt you've heard this a dozen times before but when opening the roof, it only goes halfway and the "softtop cover not opening" message appears.
The tonneau cover wants to open, it move a few millimetres, but it seems a catch is not releasing it and I run the risk of burning out the motor.
I've seen a few posts about microswitches and number 5 bow (I've no idea what that is...) being at fault but I don't know where to start, I'm no mechanic.
A few diagrams would be a great help too.

Thanks in anticipation :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
This answer may be to late for You to use. I just found out the same problem and now works every time. I also had to help up the Tonneau Cover and sometimes when the broken/sheared pin caught just right it did work. The pin sheared at the shaft and the U-Joint Coupling and Round Shaft workings of the Tonneau Cover hydraulic cylinder.

To find and see the mechanics of the Tonneau workings is in the truck. Removing the hanging pouch, just below the forward trunk seal. Theres 3)black push pins. Removing them by getting under the heads. Then 2)hex head sheet metal screws. Cover then falls into the trunk. (This is where you will see the square shaft that pivots the Tonneau Cover). It has big strong spring on each end. Looks like the spring tensioner of a garage door.

Now removing the right inside trunk cover. 5)plastic hex head, use 10mm socket. Then pulling cover down, but not out. Reveals the Hydraulic Cylinder workings. At this point You can take a Cresant Wrench on the square shaft and rotate the square shaft, that's coupled to the U-Joint, then pined to a round shaft going to Hydraulic workings. Rotating the square shaft with Cresent Wrench, and watching to see if round shaft is moving in conjunction with Your rotating movements. On mine the "round shaft" showed slippage or scuffing of the black paint at the U-Joint.

The pin coupling U-Joint and round shaft is located in the groove of the U-Joint. Mine was covered over by a O-ring. I first tried to drive out the Pin, with only results of smashing the Pin end. From there I drilled all the way thru and replaced the Pin with a bigger one or use a bolt and nylock nut. (All the drilling and Pin removal, was done with the Convertible top up and locked in, Tonneau Cover down and locked).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Should have mentioned on my reply about Convertible Tonneau Cover not opening repair. My vehicle is a 2003 SAAB 9-3.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also found out for the Convertible Vehicle people any make of Convertible out there. A company in Florence, Oregon rebuilds Hydraulic Cylinders and Pumps. Also has the best and very complete "You Tubes" on the workings of repairing Convertibles. The company TopHydraulics Inc. 3235 Pacific View Drive, Florence Oregon 97439. (541)902-3214.

Hope this Help Out There.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Jimmy5
Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I'll take the trunk covers off and try what you suggest.
I've also had a quick look at TH's Youtube videos, but being in the UK, I can't try them out in person.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the covers off and the problem seems to have been a seized cable mechanism. A bit off tugging and spray grease seems to have done the trick. Thanks again, Jimmy5 (y)
Now the next job is to get the trunk release door button to work. I can hear a click from the centre panel near the window buttons when I press it, so I suspect something mechanical has come loose. A job for another time though. I might start a new topic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts