Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm new here and welcome all the info and help to keep my 9-3 running well. We live in Richmond VA, USA. Our Saab has 99000 miles and I'm not sure when the plugs were changed and I'm pretty sure the DI cassette is orginal. Have been working on the recent check engine light which when I had the codes pulled show a P1312 and P 1334. I've have replaced the vacuum lines, spark plugs and will replace the DI cassette as soon as it shows up (here tomorrow).
The light never comes on while driving and once reset stays off for a while then comes back and does go off after a few starts, but returns. The car runs the same weather the light is on or off, at least by the seat of the pants (nothing different in performance).
Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly helpful, thanks, Tom ;)

·
Administrator
5,048 Posts
I hope the DIC made by SEM..the codes you mention are a sign of the DIC going south..replace plugs at the same time as the DIC..

·
Super Moderator
2,681 Posts
tomringo,

As aerojon suggests, this could be a sign that the DI casette is on the way out. 100,000 miles is about right for the life of these. The codes mean: 1312 - misfire cylinders 1 and/or 2, 1334 - misfire cylinders 3 and/or 4. The ecu stores up the count of misfires and the number of starts and throws the code when the ratio gets too high. As you have found, this makes no difference to how well the car runs.

I've had them fail gradually with obvious misfires becoming apparent and also had them go suddenly, once when half way round a roundabout and once when trying to start a previously running car. I carry a spare for these eventualities.

A new set of plugs could also help if they have been there for a long time. The plug gap increases as the electrode erodes. My manual suggests 25,000 miles but I always replace around 12,500 miles / 1 year unless I have fitted Laser Platinum which last up to 50,000 miles. I use NGK PFR6H-10

Paul @ Kippen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New DIC has arrived and is in along with plugs. We'll see if the codes stay away, thanks again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well 650 miles without a check light coming on and this morning it came on after I had driven it about 5 miles and then shut it off for about an hour. Light came on when I restarted it. Will have to get the code pulled and see if this something new or the same as before I changed the plugs and the DIC. Stay tuned for more I guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts