Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, first time poster though long time lurker for the tutorials and guides and general Saab advice.
I have 2000 95 estate with 110,000 miles on the clock.
During the last MOT the garage said they would need to replace the rocker cover as there was an oil leak, I'd actually been meaning to do it anyway so just let the garage do it.
Since then there had been a rough idle, the engine would seek and there would also be the occasional stalling, especially when moving. It stalled at about 50mph and then wouldn't start for 5 minutes, then stalled again and wouldn't start for another 5 or 10 minutes - classic CPS fault I thought.
I manage to get the car home and just as I pulled into the drive and put it in neutral the revs when up to about 4000RPM and then crashed to zero and the car stalled.
I replaced the CPS sensor and now the car won't start! The old sensor was reading 1018 ohms, so guessing he was on the way out anyway.
Today I have:
  • Had the throttle off and cleaned it, replaced the gaskets.
  • Traced as many vacuum tubes as I can looking for blown pipes and found none. The silicon replacements were down a few weeks ago when the car still started!
  • Took the DIC off and tightened the rocker cover bolts - it turned out 2 were below had tight and one still had a lot of movement on it.
  • Double checked the new CPS is tight to the engine block
  • Resistance of the new CPS is 840 Ohms
  • Tried to jump start it incase I'd shagged the battery over the last couple of weeks. Battery voltage is reading 12.07v.
  • Removed the engine management fuse for 10 minutes
I was quietly confident that the loose bolts on the rocker cover would fix my issue but alas! It does sound marginally better when cranking now but can't get ignition.

I've put a video on this reddit thread so you can see and hear it not starting in all its glory.
https://www.reddit.com/r/saab/comments/pv4wg2
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, first time poster though long time lurker for the tutorials and guides and general Saab advice.
I have 2000 95 estate with 110,000 miles on the clock.
During the last MOT the garage said they would need to replace the rocker cover as there was an oil leak, I'd actually been meaning to do it anyway so just let the garage do it.
Since then there had been a rough idle, the engine would seek and there would also be the occasional stalling, especially when moving. It stalled at about 50mph and then wouldn't start for 5 minutes, then stalled again and wouldn't start for another 5 or 10 minutes - classic CPS fault I thought.
I manage to get the car home and just as I pulled into the drive and put it in neutral the revs when up to about 4000RPM and then crashed to zero and the car stalled.
I replaced the CPS sensor and now the car won't start! The old sensor was reading 1018 ohms, so guessing he was on the way out anyway.
Today I have:
  • Had the throttle off and cleaned it, replaced the gaskets.
  • Traced as many vacuum tubes as I can looking for blown pipes and found none. The silicon replacements were down a few weeks ago when the car still started!
  • Took the DIC off and tightened the rocker cover bolts - it turned out 2 were below had tight and one still had a lot of movement on it.
  • Double checked the new CPS is tight to the engine block
  • Resistance of the new CPS is 840 Ohms
  • Tried to jump start it incase I'd shagged the battery over the last couple of weeks. Battery voltage is reading 12.07v.
  • Removed the engine management fuse for 10 minutes
I was quietly confident that the loose bolts on the rocker cover would fix my issue but alas! It does sound marginally better when cranking now but can't get ignition.

I've put a video on this reddit thread so you can see and hear it not starting in all its glory.
https://www.reddit.com/r/saab/comments/pv4wg2
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Be certain that the o-ring is there and seated properly on the CPS.
Is the CPS a Bosch product?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Be certain that the o-ring is there and seated properly on the CPS.
Is the CPS a Bosch product?
Hi Pequod, thanks for your comments!
The new CPS is a Bosch one.
I am pretty confident the CPS is seated properly but on another forum the conversation has come up about how O rings there should be, theres one thick on the shaft of the CPS and a thinner one that sat inside the mounting hole on the engine block. Some people seem to think the thinner one on the engine block hole shouldn't be there. I would say it can't be bigger than a millimetre so not sure how much of a difference it would make.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts