Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I have an '87 9000 2.0T in my possesion... previous car was an '87 900 GLE...
anyway.....
The 9000 has the following problems:
1. A problem when starting warm.. it will not start.. and basically it floods the engine when starting warm, and will not start for a long time... or if it does start, it feels like running on 2-3 cylinders.... any suggestions?
2. when idling, sometimes the engine starts the revs climbing up to around 2.5K rpm... i have no idea why... i does it when driving, or idling, when cold, when hot.
any suggestion on either would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Hi, Grentarc. The warm start problem is often caused by a faulty coolant temperature sensor. The fuel injection system thinks the engine is cold all the time and enriches the mixture. I believe it is screwed into the cylinder head under the inlet manifold. Check that the wiring is connected securely.

That might be something to do with the second problem, so fix it first.

If the second problem doesn't go away once you've found and fixed the cause of the first, try removing and cleaning the idle control valve. Also give the throttle body a good clean out too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi there.

Its encouraging to see you have an '87 9000 2.0T; I have an '86 9000 2.0T with 325000km on it. Runs great, the interior could use work, body is pretty good.

The problems you are having seem similar to problems I am having. Seems as though whenever the air is moist, or when I go through a decent puddle, the engine seems to misfire or and sputter for about another 5 minutes. I'm changing my ignition wires and plugs this weekend in hopes this will help. It also does this after I have started, stopped, and then restarted the engine again in a short period of time. Check your rotor and distributor cap. Mine was cracked and I had to run on 3 cylinders for a day until I could get a new one.
Next weekend, I am planning to clean the throttlebody to help with some erratic idling problems. Otherwise, car seems fine.

What's the mileage on yours? What other problems have come up?

Cheers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.