Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Well, after much investigation on the internet and through Saabscene, I'm failrly convinced the oil seals on my 9000 Griffin turbo have gone, due to the intermittent blue smoke on idle from short journeys.

The only problem is, I've got my MOT next week and feel I may be forking out for a new turbo. Does anyone know the fitted cost for new / second hand / recon units or can I just replace the oil seals???

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Rich,

Turbos are generally not considered DIY refurbishment jobs- largely on account of the fact that they need to be balanced to cope with speeds circa 100,000rpm.

I would guess you could pick up a second hand one for circa £200; recon might be about £300. Failing that you could always pop down the breakers...

Fitting a new one is not too difficult; it's a good idea to remove the radiator fan for ease of access. You can also take the opportunity to flush/renew your coolant at the same time.

You will need a new gasket, part no 91 13 937.

HTH

·
Registered
240 Posts
based in london, you are in a perfect position to talk to a guy named George at Turbo Developments.
020 8560 3927 He will be able ot help you diagnose, and potentially repair your existing turbo at a good price (cheaper than s/hand or recon )
Assuming your turbine edges aren't burnt away and your bearing housing is good, it should cost you less than you think.
Don't forget there aren't seals in your turbo as such, the bearing itself forms the seal, and wear in the bearing causes the leak. As long as the turbo doesn't let go big time, it should be a cheap repair.
just tell george that Dave with the green 9000 sent you!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts