Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Saab 9000 2.3 Turbo 1994 L reg. Quite frequently it will not start. It does not even turn over. Initially I thought it was the starter motor. Sometimes a click could be heard when the key was turned, sometimes not. The problem seemed to go away for a while when I cleaned the cable clamps and battery terminals with abrasive. But it came back. RAC man hit the starter motor with an iron bar with me turning the key, the car started. Therefore a new starter motor was needed. I had a new one fitted. When I picked the car up from the garage it would not start, yet there was always a click from the solenoid.
The mechanic connected the battery negative to the starter motor negative with a jump lead. No start. He the removed that lead and did the same to the positive terminal. it fired up first time. He replaced the cable clamp and the +ve cable.
A few days later the problem came back. I have since replaced the Auto Inhibitor switch. A few days later the problem was back. The car sometimes goes for two weeks without a problem. Then it will happen maybe up to three time in one day. Sometimes it will start if you disconnect/re-connect the battery, sometimes it will start if you leave it for a few minutes. It's a mystery to me. Does anybody know what's happening?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the same problem on my SAAB 9000 CSE 2.3 LPT from 94 and the problem was just a cable wich wasnt good connected and now it works fine.

(Im sorry but now I am not able to tell you wich cable it was becaus I dont remember but I will check it up for you)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Steve,
Had the same problem with my '93 CSE Turbo. Wouldn't start without specific reason (ticking sound), and at other times no problems at all.Got all sorts of advice (also from Saabscene). First shop tried to sell me a new startermotor. Didn't fall for it and got to the heart of the problem at my regular shop; starterrelay put in at the cost of €50. Haven't had any problems since!

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've tried to locate the starter relay but can't find it. My Saab dealers say it should be above the nearside wheelarch in the main relay box as listed in my owners manual, but my owners manual does not list a starter relay. Does anyone know where to find it or if it is called something else?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Steve,
I'm not a technician, but from recollection: a 9000 has no starterrelay. The point is that one was put in my car. It has something to do with to weak a current to trigger te starterengine. So ask your shop to place a starterrelay. Sorry I don't have more detailed technical information but it should be a minor adjustment (again ia paid €50 all-in).

·
Registered
548 Posts
I saw a very similar problem last year with a Toyota, occasional no starts and it was down to bad earth wire as others have suggested. Cheap fix is to test all the starter cables and clean connections, then look for something more complex.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi,

I have similiar problem with -94 2,0T. When I turn ignition on (not starting), continuos clicking sound starts coming from relay panel.

I located that relay making noise, it is in position H of relay panel.

Check-engine light goes on and off at the same pace. I switched other relay to the same position but nothing changed i.e. clicking sound continues with other relay so relay should be OK.

Does anyone has a clue which could cause this, is DI cassette problem out of question?

br, TT

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.