Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2.3 lpt 9000 stage ½ tuning

Once I get the gremlins out of this new car I would like to have a bit more power ,or more importantly , torque to cope with what seems like very high gearing ( compared to my old 1990 9000 2.3 ) & a wife who doesn't like to change down the gearbox once shes gone up it.

The car is a 1996 2.3 lpt & it would appear that if I fit a FPT ECU , an APC solenoid & the appropriate tubing I should have a 2.3T instead of a 2.3t. It seems that for a relatively small expense ( 2nd hand bits) that I can get 30 hp more & extra torque.

Freindly local saab man sys he thinks thats all it would need but it's not the sort of question people normally ask a saab main agent. He suggests tweaking boost pressure a little.

Can anyone offer any suggestions or comments.
££££'s & reliability are more important than horse power.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Re: 2.3 lpt 9000 stage ½ tuning

IIRC it's been done before this way, and the end result should be equivalent to the factory 2.3 Turbo. Mind you, those that I read of having done the conversion thought they couldn't do without upgrading the ECU anyways... Richard Levy in the USA and his 'CS Ultra' spring to mind - I thought there was a link from Townsend Imports' site (www.townsendimports.com) somewhere...

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Re: 2.3 lpt 9000 stage ½ tuning

This is not neccessarily the cheapest route in the long run.
Has your car got VSS???
If so fitting the ECU from another car will mean the car won't start as the ECU has to be code matched to de-activate the immobiliser etc.

Best and most cost effective route is via one of the specialst Saab tuners. The Speedparts stage 1 upgrade will give you an extra 65hp and 141 Nm of torque for £488.89. If you order this through their UK agent, Elkparts, you can pay a surcharge for an exhange ECU, i.e. to get your upgraded ECU sent before having to return your existing one, keeping off-road time to a minimum.

See Elkparts website:-
http://www.elkparts.com/index.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts