Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently looking into possibly buying an Automatic 9000 2.3 FPT.

How do these perform? It would be a 200BHP model, though I've never driven a 2.3 Auto. I know it wouldn't be as mental as a 2.3 Carlsson, but can anyone give me an indication as to the power delivery / mid-range performance.

I like the idea of a nice comfy, lazy driver, with the power when the whim takes me.

Another question - what would you reckon a 1996 2.3 FPT Auto with a FDSH and less than 90k miles be worth (CSE / CDE)?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Kev

Saabkat's 2.3 FTP Auto drives like a dream, shifts well, downshifts nicely (forces you back in the seat ).

Very gutsy from 20-60 and as I indicated the downshift and the turbo do allow you to slam on the power.

Downsides are that I'm afraid of giving it too much welly from stationary because a) the TCS slams in and makes me look like a fool, and B) at 107K miles I dont want to fry the box. Also its 2500 rpm for 60mph so on the motorway you tend to burn fuel... having said that I've got 33mpg out of it on a run from Cheltenham to Epsom (A40/M40/M25).

Sorry -can't help you on the price

Steve

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Mine goes like stink in the mid range. I've just had a quick Autotrader search and there are quite a few 2.3 FPT autos around just now, some at what seems to me to be quite low prices.

If I were looking for another car like mine, as well as getting a CSE so as to get all the toys, I think I would try to find one that was on 16" wheels, preferably Super Aeros, as it would be cheaper than buying a set later, as I have had to do. Some of the cars for sale just now have interesting colour combinations.

Don't disregard higher mileage cars if you are sure they have already had the chains done and the autobox fixed once. It will be a lot cheaper than you paying for it in a year or two.

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Hi Kev,

Having driven a friends two 2.3 CDE's with Auto I can say that the performance isn't lacking generally speaking, but maybe compared to a 2.3 Carly it could be seen that way. I havn't driven a 2.3 Carly with their shorter gearbox ratios so perhaps this should be taken into account. The fact that the auto is only a four speed certainly disguises the rapid build up of speed once on the move, but 0-60 dashes ought to be left out unless you like visiting the garage for new gearboxes.
I do like the effortless around town driving the auto box allows.

I remember that once we had a dash up hill alongside each other (rolling start - me in the 2.0 CD Carly) and it was neck and neck as you might imagine.

Downside is definatly the suspension, if funds would allow this would be my choice for an upgrade, Aero springs £65 from Abbott??

I 'think' my friends last 2.3 cost him around £3k with 76k miles and a brand new auto box earlier this summer? ('95 N)

Nick.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I have 2.3T manual and an auto, previously 2.0T Carly.
Off the line the auto is great the paper figure of 8.1 sec to 60 is easy to achieve by anyone - left foot on brake, floor the loud pedal as the lights change and release brake a split second later. Even when not going for it, its funny seeing how much acceleration is lost by manual cars (when alongside) as they change gear.
The manual has a better 0-60 time on paper of 7.2secs, but very hard for joe public to achieve without bogging the engine or spinning the wheels.
IMHO the 0 to say 30 meters time of the auto 'stuffs' the manual, and its this measure that really matters in most real world traffic light/junction situations.

As for mid range - well if you dont hit the kick-down the manual is quicker if in the right gear. If you are happy to drive around at 3500rpm just in case then the manual is quicker. But if you use fourth and fifth in the manual then the auto is quicker with the kickdown. Again for pretty instant response just hit the loud pedal, in the manual you have to down shift one or two gears. So I much prefer the auto.

Unfortunately the auto box is on its torque design limit hence if you want to up the power/torque from standard I'd say get a manual.

Auto is the future

·
Registered
92 Posts
I own both a 2.3 FPT Auto CSE and a manual Aero both 1996 modles and both with 16" alloys. The auto is easier to drive and to extract the power whilst on the move. I found on the auto you have to stomp on the
pedal to get her to go and it is the lazy mans performance. the Aero in comparison is more of a drivers car, to extract the
you mnay have to use the gearbox more.

I suppose its down to personal preference but if you want to modify the car in the future go for the manual, if you choose the Auto all you are doing is placing more strain on the box and will shorten its life which is why i left my Auto as standard. My auto has covered 82000 and the gearbox is as quiet as a mouse - however at this mileage the head gasket went last year - a common problem.

Have fun!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi Kev - can't say much about prices etc. in the UK of course, and I think you know pretty much what I have to say, but I'll say it anyway. I was hoping for a manual 2.3 LPT but someone at the importers drew my attention to what is now my auto 2.3FPT. I love it. Very smooth except for a bit of a thump when flooring it at 60mph, which I actually don't do very often. On my car, chains were changed at 65k *km*! (Just before I bought it! ) I'm happy with fuel consumption, partly because I do only 10k km/yr and partly because it will indeed give 33 mpg on long m'way trips. My average is around 30 mpg, mixed driving, very rarely over 75 miles/h. If you find one with cloth upholstery, it's probably Italian wool like mine - even more exclusive than leather! Very nice!
Cheers,
Harry

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Harry let me have a drive of his Saab when I visted NL a couple of summers ago

He had cause to remind me of Dutch speed limits, ...if that answer helps with your question?

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by MarkA:
[qb]The auto is nice for cruising.. and in traffic jams... but it's not frantic like the carlsson. [/qb][/b]
That's exactly what it'd be for - just want to make sure I won't be too disappointed with the performance after a 2.3T Carly.

I'll hopefully be getting a motorbike for the fast stuff

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Kev,
If it's cruising you want what about the 3.0V6....
The autobox is much more suited to the characteristics of the V6 and is therefore less strained than with the torque delivery of the 2.3FPT, and it's as economical, if not more so, than a 2.3FPT auto.

Oh, and I know where there's a mint one for sale as well.....

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by turkish:
[qb]is it right that the in gear times are faster in a 2.3 FPT then in a 2.3 Carlsson i.e 50-70

Autocar had the 2.3 FPT (man) at 5rd 50-70 5.6
while the Carlsson is 6.2

is this gear ratios ? [/qb][/b]
I'd be amazed if a 2.3FPT's in gear times were faster than a Carly - my Carly was in the 5's for the 40 - 60 in 4th and the 50 - 70 in 5th

PS this is the car I'm thinking about.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Originally posted by Jason (Mr Torque-Steer):
[qb]Get hold of a set of 16" Aero's if you buy it. [/qb][/b]
Scarcer than hen's teeth!

Kev, looks like a nice car if you don't need a hatch. A little trip to Hemel and a good haggle with a fistful of cash might be in order!

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by turkish:
[qb]He has that car for sale on autotrader or exchange and mart, cant remember which one, it is up for £2995 [/qb][/b]
He's got it here too. Ebay's a good way of finding a bottom price - I'm not willing to pay anywhere near £2995

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.