Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The exhaust on my carlsson needs replacing soon and i have been woundering which system would be best suited, i think the standard 9000 exhaust is fitted at present, i want a performance type exhaust system but don't really have a clue as to which one or where to obtain one, apart from abbott racing which is alittle out of my reach, any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Lee

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I was looking at these exhausts a while back - the choice seems to have become rather limited since they reworked their web site. There used to be a 2.5" cat back system at the very reasonable price of just over £200 IIRC, but now they only have 3" systems which start at £270 (for the 9-5). Does anyone know why they've dropped the 2.5" - previous posts suggested that this was fine for all but stage 3/4?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just checked out elkparts and the 3" exhaust in/c downpipe is around £311+p&p, that seems quite a fair price to me, i was woundering what sort of sound this exhaust would make, the last thing i want is to pay out £300 odd quid and have a high pitched boy racer type sounding exhaust, i prefer a deeper lower tone, would appriciate jt exhaust owners input, thanks

Lee

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
In general terms, the horrid, nasty, waspy effect is down to backboxes that are specifically tuned to be so.

The larger diameter exhausts will lower the fundamental frequency of the system. I've heard various JT exhausts and would describe them as "throbby and purposeful" rather than "wasp like strangled hairdryer"

(actually the same comment can be applied to all the quality aftermarket exhaust systems I have heard for Saab turbos )

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by Lee123:
[qb]i prefer a deeper lower tone, would appriciate jt exhaust owners input[/qb][/b]
That's a fair description of the JT exhaust. Don't think you'll be disapointed with it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Although there is a deep tone on the JT exhaust,is it loud?I had the Trent exhaust on my C900 and found it to loud I dont want a luxury car with a nausiating sound.Would you get the benefit from the downpipe and sport cat alone?is it still noisey?or do you have to have the full system to benefit?I suppose what I'm trying to say is how do you get best performance with least noise,any oppinions?

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Fitting the JT system without the downpipe, and I think you would be hard pressed to notice any great increase in noise.
Fitting the downpipe changes the sound to a more purposeful one, but you only really notice this most at idle, with only a very slight increase in noise while driving along.
It's very unobtrusive......

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Originally posted by jig:
[qb]Although there is a deep tone on the JT exhaust,is it loud?I had the Trent exhaust on my C900 and found it to loud      [/qb][/b]
I think that's mostly due to the difference in resonance between stainless and mild steel exhausts. The Trent system definitely sounds a bit more 'hollow' than the mild steel systems I know of, but personally I think it fits the character of the c900 quite well either way. TBH I don't really think the old 900 cuts it as a 'luxury' car anymore compared to current car models (even quite modest ones) - the reason I hang on to mine (and probably will forever) is because of the blend of performance, character and practicality which is IMO still hard to beat. I reckon the same goes to a lesser extent for 9000's - older ones at least.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
The full JT 3'' on a 9000 isn't loud at all.. if you remove the cat it will get louder.. if you remove the centre muffler it will get even louder..

But fitted with the mid and back box plus cat it's very unobtrusive.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thats what I wanted to here
sorry,the referrance to the "luxury" car was to my 9000 aero which I now own and think fits in that bracket Incidently this is the method I want to apply to all my personal tuning.I know you have to make certain sacrifices for example in chasis mods but not too extreme.Sorry drifted off the topic somewhat

and

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I got an Abbot stainless steel downpipe and cat replacement on my 9000 and the only exhaust note I notice inside the car is a slight growl when I put my foot down, and I think it sounds great.

The C900S 2.0t Convertabubble has a superb original exhaust note, especially along country lanes with the roof down, and I really wouldn't want to enhance it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi folks
Ordered the full JT 3" exhaust system(with cat by pass)today, should be delivered sometime nexed week, before then i was hoping to get prepeared for the fitting of the system, i have researched but can only find posts and topics of fitting a jt 3" system to later model 9000's,my 9000 is a manual 2.3 1990 cs carlsson(H reg)hatchback,of course my pride and joy
. i'm hoping the system will be straight forwardish to fit but from past experience's i wanted to be prepeared, any tips/advice etc would be great.

Lee

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Lee, there should be no practical difference between fitting the exahust system on your Carly and on a later model. In fact it's '96-on cars where it gets just slightly more complicated since the cat is in a new place and the JT system is set up for the cat in the old place like yours. It should be straightforward (well, assuming that getting the old one off is straightforward).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts