Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My friend filled up his 2.2 Turbo Diesel the other day with Shell V Power and on the way home from the garage the engine management light came on and it went into slow safe mode. He has since topped it up with Tesco Diesel and it now drives totally normal, power the same etc except the management light keeps coming on and going off and a black puff off sooty smoke blows out the exhaust when under acceleration. Any ideas? Cheers, Lee

·
Registered
10 Posts
This happened to me over the last couple of weeks. I changed the MAF but no joy. Took it to a local garage and they discovered a split intercooler hose. Got that replaced - no more smoke but engine management light stayed on. Have just had the EGR valve replaced as well. This has sorted the problem mainly although if I rev it up to about 3.5 - 4k the light will come on again and there is a loss of Turbo! The ligt goes out again when the revs drop back again.

By the way - put old MAF back in and the light came on agan so it was fecked as well by the look of things.

The strange thing was that I had just changed to Shell diesel (not V power as we don't get it in NI) and the car was going great for a week after that!

Anyway in the end it has cost over 500 quid (non SAAB dealer - I dread to think what that would have been!!) and still isn't quite right. Although the car is returning about 8 mpg more since all the work was done and drives better than it did before - up to about 3500 revs!

·
Registered
124 Posts
de-art,

did you check the large hose from the MAF housing to the turbo as i had the same symptons of engine managment light coming on at higher revs or under higher loads. it slowly got worse and ended up being the hose split around the turbo flange. its worth checking as only takes 5 mins if you haven't already.

as for the EGR sensor, i had the engine managment light on and just removed the EGR sensor cleaned it with a bit of white spirit and the light went out, cost nothing but 30 mins of my time !!

·
Registered
10 Posts
nskeates - that sounds like it is worth a look.

Been doing some research and it could also be the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor as well by the sounds of things! Apparently if it is dodgy (or even dirty) it can send an incorrect message to the boost control valve which could mean that the ECU thinks that overboost is going to happen so it switches off the turbo and lights the light as a safety measure. This usually happens at higher revs in a lower gear or under load at about 2200 revs (like going uphill) in a higher gear.

I'll have a go at cleaning the sensor with some electrical contact cleaner to see if that will help - once I can get me hands on a Torx socket set!

Cheers anyway

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi All,

was having problem with my 01 2.2.tid blowing smoke after about 2400 rpm when turbo kicks in and the mpg plummeted from averaqge of 41 mpg down to about 35 mpg.

checked all the turbo pipework and intercooler pipes and they all seemed to be pressurising ok....then Took out the air mass meter in the air inlet system just behind the main air filter. Took of the plastic grill and sprayed it with a Bardahl carburettor and choke cleaner solvent that I had but did not touch the actual unit for fear of damaging it. Replaced the module and drove the car for about 50 miles and miracle occurred it is back up to abut 41 mpg, not smoking half as much and a pleasure :)

hope this helps
Daithi

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.