Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just taken off the egr valve and the bit with the butterfly valve and sensor off and gave them a clean. Then took off the next part of manifold and clean that out to. The holes in these parts were at least half the diameter due to all the soot and rubbish in them. The next part of the manifold has a set of 4 butterfly valves in it and is really bunged up with rubbish and soot. What do these butterfly valves do and is it safe to take this bit off and clean it as i dont want to knock all this soot off and down into the engine... Do they open up more when the turbo gets to a certain boost???? Many thanks Andy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So out of the people who have looked at this thread no one knows what im asking????????????????????????? surely someone knows???

·
Registered
375 Posts
I think its safe to take the egr off and give it a clean, there's plenty of threads on here about people doing it, I'm not really DIY minded and wouldn't know where to start and would probably break something!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm not familiar with these components at all, however, if you are concerned about soot going into the engine - think about where it's going - if its a small amount of coke/soot going into the combustion chamber I don't believe it will do any harm it will just get ejected. Bits of soot and coke are probably breaking off the surfaces and going in there anyway. Nevertheless extreme caution needs to applied whenever possible to avoid it, by blanking areas off with rags etc

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've just cleaned the egr on my 9-5 2.2 tid, and I was just thinking the same thing as you.The egr wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but the next part of the manifold is really coked up. I personaly don't think it'll do any major harm if a few bits of 'crap' fall into the engine, as like mentioned above, this will happen anyway. As long as there's no large deposits falling in, or you decide to carry out the work in the rain for some daft reason??!!

Good luck with it anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts