Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a www.vectra-c.com member, hoping you guys can share your expertise with me on a Saab matter. I drive a Vectra-C 2.0T, which as you know, has the Saab engine (175 bhp). Today I've found that the car is losing boost in higher rev range, and on one occasion flashed up the spanner symbol on the dash that signifies a fault code has been stored. I had the code read (there was only one) and it's "P0244....Turbo/Super Charger Wastegate Solenoid 'A' Range/Performance".

The (knowledgeable) guy who read the code says it's most likely a split or similar in one of the hoses downstream from the turbo. Those of you who have this engine will know there are quite a few hoses on it. Does anyone have experience of this issue and have any pointers on which hose(s) are most liable to splitting? The car pulls well at low revs and the turbo is definately spooling up. Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Welcome! :)

According to Saab P0244 is a "Charge Air Control Valve Circuit Performance Problem"

I'm not an expert at this sort of thing, but it goes on to say that P0245 & P0246 must NOT be present for the above diagnosis to be correct.

If so, it suggests that you are getting HIGHER pressure than the engine needs rather than a split. This suggests that a sensor, or its associated circuit, is causing the inlet pressure to climb too high. Or the wastegate and its actuator are sticking.

·
Banned
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply :) Are you sure about the fault code definition though? There are a lot of wesbites defining P0244 as what I've posted, it's also what's printed out on the readout I got from the techie who read the code, and I've done a search on this forum and found it in 1 post, where it turned out one of the hoses wasn't connected, so he'd been losing boost same as I am at the moment. All help appreciated.

BTW, P0245 and P0246 weren't present, the printout confirms there was only 1 code.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
It could be a split a hose controlling the wastegate sensor. This would effectively act as a bleed valve and fool the system into thinking that the pressure was normal, where, in fact, the boost was actually higher. On the earlier Saab turbo systems this was a cheap way of improving performance. The later systems are more complex and will detect this as a fault. A pinhole would be enough.

·
Banned
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Any tips on where to locate this in the engine, and do you or anyone have any good pictures or diagrams of the B207L engine. I've got a Saab 9-3 haynes manual, but their pictures aren't that illuminating.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
The wastegate actuator is the shiny tin pot with a rubber hose going to it and a rod running from the other side to the turbocharger.

I'll have a look at my wife's car when it's light (If I remember :rolleyes: ) and see if I can interpret what's there. It's slightly different from the system on my own Saab 9-5.

In the meantime, have a look at your Haynes Manual. The "tin pot" is shown on page 4A.11 picture 12.7 at the top in the middle. The rubber hose is out of picture to the left.

Also look at page 4A.9 and Picture 10.59. which shows some hoses at the other end of the same system.

There is also Picture 10.56 on page 4A.9 which is a pressure sensor on the inlet side which has hoses which control the turbocharging. Any splits or holes in these could confuse the inlet pressure controls. Follow any of these around the engine. The most suspect places are at connections or near any hotspots.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Have you a boost gauge? From what i know of the Z20LET (VX220 turbo owner of 5 years) i could also be a faulty solenoid. I dont think the solenoid wouldnt throw an error (it isnt a pressure sensor) if the pipe was split, it doesnt even if the pipe to the actuator is removed!

Guessing engine is very similar - 2 intake pipes into the solenoid, another one off the top out to the actuator. The ECU flicks the solenoid between the 2 intakes to smoothe the pressure/actuator movement, hence controlling the wastegate penny/turbo speed . Easy to remove the solenoid (spanner, pliers - if unsure, take a pic of it before you remove any pipes) and cost £25 when i replaced mine.

Good luck!

·
Banned
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, no boost guage unfortunately. The Z20LET is very different to my Z20NET (iron block/belt driven Vs ally block/chain driven) but what you've said sounds logical. The only problem is I wouldn't have a clue where to find the solenoid on the Z20NET/B207L - any suggestions please?

Also, I've had a thorough look now at all the hoses, no splits or disconnections visible. Then had a garage do a 10 minute check, they report the same and also that the hoses all look clean, i.e. no oil mist anywhere which they say they would expect to see if there was a split. Got it booked in for Monday to leave it with them all day so they can investigate further, but would rather fix it myself in the meantime or at least identify the cause.

·
Registered
682 Posts
If the engine is a close match to the one in the SAAB your Boost solenoid sits directly at the back of your engine cover, it will be a black piece of plastic with
3 rubber pipe connections to it, it also has an electrical plug on the back it sits on top of the actuator which again is bolted to the Turbo.
If a boost solenoid is dirty it can also cause you the same problems you are having.
ie Overboost

Take the solenoid off the car (2minute job) and spray the 3 inlets with brake cleaner, use this as it dissolves after a couple of minutes, refit and see how the car performs.

Zippy

·
Banned
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found the solenoid (good description BTW Zippy), removed the front and top rubber hoses and cleaned with brake cleaner, but the rear hose just won't budge, no matter how firmly it's pulled. Reassembled, turned the ignition on, and can hear an electrical whine for 4 seconds followed by a relay click; can't be sure, but don't think I've heard that before. Took car for a spin, and for a while it seemed fine, gave it plenty of welly and it responded. Then, when I pushed really hard, dreaded spanner symbol came back on, so seems problem is still there :(

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
There's an inlet pressor sensor and an absolute pressure sensor. Never looked for them, but if one is faulty, it might be reporting overboost wrongly and triggering the fault warning.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Reassembled, turned the ignition on, and can hear an electrical whine for 4 seconds followed by a relay click; can't be sure, but don't think I've heard that before.[/b]
Probably the fuel pump, so nothing to worry about. Can be heard more easily when the tank is a bit low. It'll then turn off after four seconds if engine hasn't been started.

·
Banned
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for everyone's help on this.

There is some confusion here though, I've had a gander at Vauxhall's parts database and the item described above as the boost solenoid, which I've had a go at cleaning with brake cleaner, is actually listed on the database as a "charged air bypass valve", not a solenoid. I've found on the parts database something listed as "valve, solenoid, turbocharger wastegate actuator vacuum control", which looks quite different, but I can't actually find it on my engine anywhere in the vicinity of the turbo.

On a related subject, does anyone know how to remove the aluminium curved cover over the turbo? I've undone the two E10 torx bolts, but it's still fixed on at the back somehow.

·
Banned
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update on my boost problem: Ordered a new boost solenoid from my nearest Saab dealer yesterday, which they said would arrive today (my local Vauxhall dealer said it would take them 2 days to get it), and I fitted it this lunchtime. Problem solved! Well, I think so anyway...lol. I've been up to 6000rpm and no limp mode or spanner symbols :)

<div align="center">Thanks to everyone for your help fellas! Much appreciated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts