Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently fouled the #1 cylinder in my 01 9-3. Pretty sure it needs major surgery, at the least a head gasket or valve service but I'm guessing piston rings as it's burned a little oil as long as I've owned it. Also have 97 900 parts car (almost the same car ,same 2.0 liter turbo engine).How compatible are these motors? Computer fried on the 97 (automatic) and the 01 is a 5 speed. Will the difference in transmissions greatly complicate things? Ideally I would swap engines and rebuild the original at my leisure.

·
Super Moderator
2,703 Posts
Dave,

Swapping a vehicle from Manual to Auto ( or vice versa ) is a real pig of a job, even if you have a donor vehicle for all the parts. Probably easier to take the torque converter off the Auto and fitting the flywheel from the manual thus converting the engine, rather than the car. You might need to swap the heads as well 'cause I think the auto engine is fitted with a vacuum pump driven by the camshaft to give you servo assistance for the brakes.

Paul @ Kippen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave,

Swapping a vehicle from Manual to Auto ( or vice versa ) is a real pig of a job, even if you have a donor vehicle for all the parts. Probably easier to take the torque converter off the Auto and fitting the flywheel from the manual thus converting the engine, rather than the car. You might need to swap the heads as well 'cause I think the auto engine is fitted with a vacuum pump driven by the camshaft to give you servo assistance for the brakes.

Paul @ Kippen.
Not converting the manual, just investigating the feasibility of swapping the power plant from the auto to the manual. Probably the intake and turbo systems already in the manual should stay the same for compatibility with the computer/ecm. Your vacuum pump/cylinder head tip is exactly the type of complication I want to be aware of in advance (nobody likes surprises).Any other problems you can see arising? Thanks so much for the info.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The heads are completely different on the T5 and T7 cars. The intake ports on the T5 (900) head will not line up with the the intake manifold for the later car. You'd still need to swap the T7 head over to the 900 engine. It is 'doable' but be prepared.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts