Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,first post about my first saab !
91 9000 2.3 cd carlsson.
great motor but what i want to know is how tuneable are they had plenty of hot hatches in my youth ect but never had anything to do with saabs,an aquired taste me thinks !
i need a new exhaust as the one on it is blowing but on further investigation its blowing were the cat used to be but now has a piece of pipe welded in place instead.
checked out a few tuning site fancy some abbot stuff to be honest but dont want to buy there exhaust as i think its dear for what it is.
what would you people recomend as im sure some of you have a performance exhaust fitted ??
im looking to tune to around 330bhp so has anyone got around that figure and is it easy to obtain?any reliability probs ??
look forward to your imfo

MrWendel :)

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by MrWendel:
[qb]i need a new exhaust as the one on it is blowing but on further investigation its blowing were the cat used to be but now has a piece of pipe welded in place instead.
checked out a few tuning site fancy some abbot stuff to be honest but dont want to buy there exhaust as i think its dear for what it is.
what would you people recomend as im sure some of you have a performance exhaust fitted ??
[/qb][/b]
The 3" JT is probably the best value.
3" JT here

Originally posted by MrWendel:
[qb]im looking to tune to around 330bhp so has anyone got around that figure and is it easy to obtain?any reliability probs ??
[/qb][/b]
As your car is pre-Trionic that sort of figure isn't going to be that easy.
I'm sure the pre-Trionic owners will be along to offer advice soon enough.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Welcome

Even getting a Trionic to 330hp is a fairly tall order.

The weak link in tuning the early models is the gearbox; it will be a consumable item if you're getting up to around 300hp. It's not the absolute hp that's the killer but the torque, which will destroy the cirlcip holding the 3rd/4th gear hub in place.

You LH/DI setup is harder to tune and requires much more work by you rather than relying on software and hardware upgrades that are matched.

Wihtout knowing the extent of your tuning knowledge/ability, I would suggest 250-260hp with free flowing exhaust, high flow intercooler and one or two other mods will give you a sensible compromise and a car that is quick by most standards.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im an enginner so rebuilding an engine or gearbox is nothing to me really ive jst got no knowledge of saabs,always liked the carlsson when i was younger but never eally had the desire to own one but mine came up and was cheap so was a chance to see what they are like.
glad i bought it because i think its a great car,ive been looking a abbott stuff as i said in first post so other than there exhaust ill prob get there induction kit,intercooler,delivery pipe,then there chip and maybe head.
ref the gearbox prob with the circlip,is there a mod or upgrade to prevent this happening ?

MrWendel

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Yes, there is a box mod you can do. You need to get the 3rd/4th gear hub from a later (MY94-) box, machine the shaft and fit a washer underneath the circlip to spread the load. You can also replace the compression flange with shims. It's a job to do when the box is out anyway for a rebuild or, as will really be necessary for that sort of power level, fitting an LSD.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts