Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With with the proposed expansion of the London ULEZ next year, I just thought I'd check if anyone has had any luck with having an older Saab registered as ULEZ compliant. I have a 1999 9-3 Auto with the b204i engine. Did anybody try to put a car through a certification test to determine whether the emissions would comply?

I have seen some older discussions on here where people suggested that the cars might comply with the NOX requirements, despite being pre EURO 4 and that it might be possible to have them tested and certified as such.

·
Registered
1 Posts
With with the proposed expansion of the London ULEZ next year, I just thought I'd check if anyone has had any luck with having an older Saab registered as ULEZ compliant. I have a 1999 9-3 Auto with the b204i engine. Did anybody try to put a car through a certification test to determine whether the emissions would comply?

I have seen some older discussions on here where people suggested that the cars might comply with the NOX requirements, despite being pre EURO 4 and that it might be possible to have them tested and certified as such.
hey nick
I have a 2000 9-3 and it does indeed pass the emissions for Ulez (didn't believe at first!!) just got to TFL site and put in your reg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've just had a 1999 BMW 740i given an exemption for ULEZ due to its euro 4 (even euro 5) NOx output.

Good old BMW!
That's great news!

Did you have to provide evidence or was the car showing as compliant on the TFL website?

My issue is that the car is not showing as compliant, though I suspect it might be.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine wasn't either. I followed the procedure below, but it won't be as easy for you as there is no SAAB:

• Email BMW UK homologation number and ask for a Certificate of Conformity for tailpipe emissions against VIN
  • Once document is received, I was impressed to see exhaust NOx at Homologation really low at 0.084 g/km (actually meets Euro 5)
  • Register with TfL on the ULEZ site
  • Email them a copy of the certificate from BMW and copies of the V5C showing the VIN against your name and address
  • Within a week you'll receive an exemption certificate

Simple really if you know what to do!

·
Registered
8 Posts
And FYI, the following SAAB of mine are all ULEZ exempt from the registration plate:

2001 9-3 Aero HOT
2005 9-5 Aero HOT
2005 9-3 Aero Hirsch Stage 2

The 2001 car is impressive as it was clearly meeting Euro 4 standards when it only needed to officially meet Euro 3!

Good old SAAB

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And FYI, the following SAAB of mine are all ULEZ exempt from the registration plate:

2001 9-3 Aero HOT
2005 9-5 Aero HOT
2005 9-3 Aero Hirsch Stage 2

The 2001 car is impressive as it was clearly meeting Euro 4 standards when it only needed to officially meet Euro 3!

Good old SAAB
Yes Saab were always ahead of the game on emissions! That's why I suspect my 1999 9-3 probably is compliant.

With there being no Saab, I'll have to see if the Owner's club has any information on emission levels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes Saab were always ahead of the game on emissions! That's why I suspect my 1999 9-3 probably is compliant.

With there being no Saab, I'll have to see if the Owner's club has any information on emission levels.
I have the same problem: 1999 SE Turbo, we are currently just outside of the extended ULEZ but if the proposed expansion August 23 takes place I'd have to sell the car which would break my heart tbh

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the same problem: 1999 SE Turbo, we are currently just outside of the extended ULEZ but if the proposed expansion August 23 takes place I'd have to sell the car which would break my heart tbh
Yes I live in the proposed extension area too.

From my research so far, it looks like the B204 engine in the 1999 cars is EURO 4 compliant for NOX emissions. I have found somewhere that can supply a certificate but they said they are in discussions with TFL regarding their acceptance of them, as it has been unpredictable so far - sometimes TFL accept and others they don't.

I will update on here if I hear any more from them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you so much, hugely appreciated

Best wishes

From my research so far, it looks like the B204 engine in the 1999 cars is EURO 4 compliant for NOX emissions. I have found somewhere that can supply a certificate but they said they are in discussions with TFL regarding their acceptance of them, as it has been unpredictable so far - sometimes TFL accept and others they don't.

·
Registered
2001 9-3 AERO
5 Posts

Hello Nick, I've just joined the forum (and the discussion) as am in the same boat - my Saab technician/garage says my 2001 Saab 9-3 is Euro4 and therefore ULEZ compliant but the TFL website says it isn't? Did you hear back about the certification process? Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m going to take a proper look at my Saab docs this week to see if I can uncover any further information on the engine specs, I emailed Motorvation Saab in Tonbridge re: Nick_447 post, they were not aware of possible certification. They are always super helpful and knowledgable though. Do please update the thread if you have any news Nick 🤞

·
Registered
2001 9-3 AERO
5 Posts
I’m going to take a proper look at my Saab docs this week to see if I can uncover any further information on the engine specs, I emailed Motorvation Saab in Tonbridge re: Nick_447 post, they were not aware of possible certification. They are always super helpful and knowledgable though. Do please update the thread if you have any news Nick 🤞
Thanks smithylondon. Good to know. Unless this is it? E4*98/14*0012*14 listed under Type approval number and on the engine badge. I think I'll upload my V5C and send to TFL and see what they say.....will update this thread.

·
Registered
2001 9-3 AERO
5 Posts
Thanks smithylondon. Good to know. Unless this is it? E4*98/14*0012*14 listed under Type approval number and on the engine badge. I think I'll upload my V5C and send to TFL and see what they say.....will update this thread.
Further updates. No point uploading a V5C without NOx emissions it seems. So, I contacted a garage that does ULEZ emission testing for motorcycles to see if they knew of a garage which does the same for cars. They replied back really quickly and said they themselves are in discussion with TFL to do car testing! If I contact them at the end of this month they may have more news. Watch this space!

·
Registered
5 Posts

Any news on this Nick?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts