Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
9000 CSE on Autotrader.com

Hello all...new to Saabs and this forum:)

Was wondering if you could tell me what engine the '94 CSE had and the approx. 0-60 and 1/4 of the car? I've read a bunch about the vehicle, except for those facts.

Thanks!

Warthog

[Edited by BillJ to neaten up the web link]

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Welcome to Saabscene, Warthog.

Not 100% sure, but I've heard it said that while the CSE was available with all engine variants in the rest of the world, it usually only came with the 200hp 2.3T engine in the US? You might want to ask for the VIN number. The eighth digit will tell you - "L" denotes the 200hp engine. Look here for a VIN decoder that will tell you a bit more about the car from the VIN.

If this is the case (I see it's a manual), then you're looking at 0-60 in around 6.8 seconds. Being a large, heavy front-wheel-drive car, 0-60 isn't the car's strength although it turns in a respectable figure. Mid-range acceleration (which is much more important in real life) is phenomenal.

1/4 mile - around 15.2 sec. Again, standing starts aren't the car's strong point, but who really needs drag-starts in everyday driving?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb]If this is the case (I see it's a manual), then you're looking at 0-60 in around 6.8 seconds. [/qb][/b]
On Saab brochures for the 2.3FPT CSE, the manual is stated at 7.2sec and the auto is 8.1sec. You have to add to that a bit more, because most people can't drive that well (or maybe that's just me) and because of the age of the car.

The fact that it's a 2.3 non-turbo, means it's slower than that anyway!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh man...it's only 150hp? That's too bad :-/. Thanks for the replies...the 200hp model would be really great. Anyway, nice car other than that.

Warthog

PS - Thanks to mod for editing link

·
Registered
258 Posts
Not the same model I know but I've had two 2.0 Eco LPT's - the first an unmodified 1994 MY, the second is a 96 MY which I've since Abbotised.

Though turbo both were base rated as 150 BHP, which, you're right, is a bit soft (hence I modded my second and it's tons better now).

But 0-60 in both my unmodded 2.0 LPT's @150 bhp was easily under 10 secs (I'd have said around the high 8.9 to low 9.something) and I'm no racing driver.

Perhaps as both were well run in (my 94 year model had 100k when I got it, my 96 model a much better 64k) then the quicker time would be explained by both having loosened up a bit ?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well, my '96 CSE FPT Auto certainly doesn't feel like 8 secs to 60. It is so leisurely to drive that it feels that it'd be close to 9 or 10. The only giveaway that it really is that quick is when you look in your rear view mirror. My elder brother was totally mortified last week when we had a bit of fraternal drag-strip style nonsense up a sliproad onto the M4 away from some traffic lights at the Slough junction. He has a £13k Mini Cooper which "feels" a great deal faster than my £3k Saab, however side by side I am proud to say the old Tardis totally spanked the Mini! He got off the line very much quicker and was about 3 car lengths ahead by about 30mph... Then the turbo starts coming on strong... by 70mph the old girl was about 5-6 car lengths ahead. And with minimum fuss as well
And that is why I love my car so much!!!

Boys will be boys...

·
Registered
778 Posts
Warthog, boy did you miss a nice 9000. There was one the same color as this one on Ebay, last week. It only had 59k miles on it, was a FPT and it sold for $4100. It was listed in Maryland, not that far from you - did you notice it?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Warthog:
[qb]I think I'll still check this one out anyway. [/qb][/b]
While it'll be no Ferrari-basher, it should certainly be capable of getting out of its own way. It sounds well-equipped.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts