Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay this is my first visit into the 9000 section.I've been offered a very clean 9000 Griffin saloon, white 110000 miles. auto, alloys just about everything. Have ordered a new car and need something for about 12 weeks. Any ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Welcome to the 9000 world, jnevillea, however briefly.
I think we need more detail. The CD (saloon) Griffin was available with a number of engine options - 2.3, 2.3t (ECOPower, light-pressure turbo), 2.3T (ful-pressure turbo), 3.0 V6. The engine option will probably affect price significantly. One thing I would say is that the CD is less desirable than the hatchbacks, especially the old-style CD which I think a '94 will be, and that white is probably one of the less-desirable colours, so don't pay over the odds.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Umm, I thought the Griffin was only available with 3.0V6 or 2.3T?
Anyway, what year is it? White is pretty unpopular colour at the moment - dealers find them difficult to shift. There is a white Aero L-reg 167k miles on autotrader and the asking price - £1500 approx - I was kind of tempted.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb]white is probably one of the less-desirable colours[/qb][/b]
Certainly it is from your point of view Bill, 'cos it'll be a white one whupping you round the track days in March

Oh, yes, welcome to 9000 madness jnevillea! We're a friendly bunch- honest!

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
White's nice....especially with sand beige interior, but then I would say that as one of my 9000's is that spec...
If you're clever you could turn the 'white' car situation around by claiming that it's rare and therefore could be more desirable...unlike those oh so common silver cars.....

Certainley the case with that white Aero.....after all, there was only 12 of them made in RHD.......

As for Griffin's, I'm sure they were only available with either the 2.3 FPT or 3.0V6 as well.

·
Registered
203 Posts
White with sand beige interior is very nice obviously, like mine I think the rarity argument would be applicable to a white Griffin as they all seem to be in that hideous dark green colour

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb]it'll be a white one whupping you round the track days in March[/qb][/b]
We'll see . 80% driver, 20% car?
I think silver will make a comeback in the summer, though, when ylee gets his car sorted and whups us both...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys

Its a 2.3t 1994 late with genuine 101000 miles. full Saab history and with black leather seats. Personally I don't like the saloon but I can have it @ £2k. Will bid 1500 and walk away. (Was also offered mint 94 A_di 80 2.0E for £550 but it wpould look out of place with 2 900s, 2 99s and a 96)

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
One thing I would say is that the CD is less desirable than the hatchbacks,[/b]
Personally I don't like the saloon but I can have it @ £2k.[/b]
I agree, the saloon is pretty dull. But I wouldn't get another pre-CS hatch, the body control is s*** compared to the CD and CS's. Even on 170K standard suspension the CD is far more chuckable than my old Carlsson. I think it will rock on better springs, poly bushes and decent tyres.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by saabz2000:
[qb]above ........... bo11ocks!!! pre cs/cd hatch best of all!!!! [/qb][/b]
Assuming you are not retaining the standard suspension (and who does for track use?), I would respectfully disagree. The CD is significantly stiffer than either style of hatchback - let's face it, it doesn't have that massive hole in the back and the rear seat and window hold the rear together. Only the softer standard suspension and narrower anti-roll bars let it down performance-wise compared to the others. The rest of the suspension components didn't change significantly throughout the life of the 9000.

I'd be interested to know where you got the information that the old-style hatch is better handling-wise than the CS, and in what way it is better. Everything I've heard says that Saab improved on the stiffness of the hatchback when they designed the CS. Again, nothing else changed much.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
white Griffin as they all seem to be in that hideous dark green colour  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 [/b]
hey!.. enough!

It looks very understated and nice with sand leather interior, two tone Aero wheels, smoked side repeaters and white DRLS!...

The spec of MY griffin !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts