Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
The driver side shock removal is up next. I have a feeling it will get the sawzall treatment too based on the rust buildup. Boy I wish I had a media blaster. My little 8gal compressor would struggle but at least I could clean up these suspension parts. A lot of these parts REALLY need a sandblasting before they're coated again. The wire wheel and rust remover helps but some of the rust still remains and has to get treated with spray which is never 100%.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
LH shock tower received a 1/8" 4130 plate due to condition of the top brace. Sheet metal work this week. Hope to have a new video out soon. Suspension and other parts are on order from US, NL and SE.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
A few parts came in. Bushings, hardware, a new tappet for sunroof and a service kit for the AC. More stuff on the way.

The MAP torch and vise-grips won. New ones should be fun to install.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Rear 6" Clarion mid-bass speaker repair. Video soon, have to record narration on part of it due to audio missing from the video.

The fronts were beyond repair so I found comparable replacements and modified to work with factory wiring.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Another messy patch but it's closed up mostly now. One more patch to make for the skirt under the shock plate. Then, on to the horrible jack points. I suspect I will be using flux core wire to fix that due to the sheer amount of rust in places I can't grind away to reattach them to the outside rails.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Last patch.. I hope.This one was more of a pain to finesse than the 3 on the other side.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I've been posting a lot of pictures and random video footage at this point. Is there anything you folks would like to see in video? I plan on pulling front suspension as well as the rear which is already in progress and replacing some of the bushings. I will be installing an aftermarket bluetooth/CD/multimedia stereo in place of the factory 2-piece tape/cd/eq combo and wiring it into the factory Clarion amp. I have the AC condenser box and heater box side about ready to come out. I'm going to video that removal as well as replacing the heater core. Hopefully I don't have to replace the A/C evap coil. I will be putting together a vacuum test setup for the lines, coils and compressor outside of the air box, while the compressor is still on the car to find any leaks. I may or may not video that. For interior work I still have the front seats to clean, inspect, repair, test and recondition/recover. The rear deck cover has been cleaned and a coat of paint on the speaker grills. The carpet needs to be dyed though due to UV fading. I also have the dash top and frame trim vinyl cracks to fix with Polyvance products. Later on, the headliner will get repaired and recovered along with the sunroof panel. What sounds edu-taining for a video?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Rubber undercoating is on. SonicBarrier applied as well.

Speakers and rear deck are ready for carpet trim. Needs a wipe-down first though.

Goodies came in from Netherlands. CDE badge on the way as well. Horn buttons, new ashtray for the center console and a new emblem for the bonnet/hood.

Got those annoying "bearings" pushed into the rear sway bar. Rust treated, primed and painted sway bar and rear axle tube. Panhard bar is next.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Salvage yard scores for today. LH rear CS complete door for my CDE door with a crease in the top. 3 door courtesy lenses. 2 sun visors, A pillar trim and ambient temp sensor.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #75

Almost ready to put the rear back together. One arm mount area needs some attention for rust. Waiting on EBC rear rotor kit to come in from UK. Still have to refurb the RH rear caliper so more video content soon.

Been tied up helping my neighbor with his kid's 02 Rodeo. Has not had it a month and rear-ended his buddy in the trailer hitch at slow speed. Bent/cracked the AC condensor and radiator as well as the crash bar bracket and quarter. If I had a 2-post lift in my garage and a finished Saab it would have someone else's car on it 60% of the time. I am fortunate to have the tools and skills to be mostly self-sufficient with auto repairs. I will have 2 teen girls driving soon. I hope the Saab does them well with my teaching. They will know the time and effort I put into it so hopefully they will be less careless driving it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Bumper is off. Just a small spot at the seam on the left side. Bumper and trim will get treated and painted the metallic grey since it is peeling and faded.

This is a different part number than the callout but it fits.

The main holes are plugged on the RH side fender well now. The big rot gap behind the fuel fill pipes took a LOT of flux core wire with light touches. Grind it smooth and protect it with some primer. LH side left to finish, then the LH front control arm mount needs attention.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Another patch and pile of boogers to replace rust blowout. Getting better with the Hobart welder, long way to go though.

20200514_193443.jpg

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #79

I think I like this color. Will paint front bumper and side trim the same color.

61 - 80 of 117 Posts