Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys have been great helping me out. Now a question I have been dying to know. The guy who sold me my car told me that my year is the most sort after year-engine combo. Is this true?
~Shane

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
What size engine is it? Believe the 2.0 and 2.3 turbo's ran in the same power outputs from 1992 to 1998. I suppose High Pressure Turbo's would be less common than the Light Pressure Turbo's - but not sure why yours would be the most sought after engine/year combination.

·
Registered
359 Posts
This is only a guess but could your 9000 have been registered just before it was necessary for it to have a catalytic convertor? They are very restrictive in exhaust flow so may have a few more bhp and a better throttle response.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Sorry if I'm disappointing you, but I always thought that '91 was a far better model year than '92, speaking about US models.
In fact 91 and 92 is basically the same car, but in 91 the TCS was an option and in 92 it was standard, and the 91-92 TCS is the most troublesome system ever fitted to a 92. That unreability gave the made TCS infamous in all 9000s, but actually those two years are the only one that are that bad, later on Saab did worked on the system and later ones were much more reliable.
What's so good about 91 and 92 is that they have the first 2.3L 200hp engine ("the largest engine Saab ever built", an ad saied), and the unique shape (a CC body but restyled with the CD nose)(many find the CC body prettier than the CS). Unfortunately the 92 has that TCS..... I hope for you that it keeps working good, but start saving for repairs.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My 92 Saab 2.3 turbo specially with autogearbox is a great combination. (I trust this is the reason so many others stay in this site). True though - also I had some problems with TCS but the repair costs were minor - the advice I had got from 9000 forum helped a lot, again.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I agree with Peter Finn, I also have a MY92 CDE, 2.3 Hot with autobox and TCS, and it works perfectly!!!!!!!

Especialy under cold and slippy road conditions its the bedst car I ever driven, and I tried a few!

My research indicates that the TCS system properly saved my Autobox as wheel spinn should be VERY bad for the transmission!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
The 1992 SAAB 9000T five-door was SAAB's "hot car" in the U.S., there being no Aero here at the time. The car came with a stiffer (sport) suspension, was lowered slightly and came with the 16" x 6.5" Aero wheels with Pirelli P-700Z tires in size 205/50-16.

The 2.3L high pressure Turbo was rated at 200 hp with auto trans and 225 hp with 5 speed manual trans.

The 2.3L engine was a great improvement over the 2.0L engine in my first 9000, an 1987 Turbo rated at 160 HP.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I thought the US ver of the AERO was called the SPG, now at that time we in the UK had a police force called the Special petrol group, I don’t know if that’s the reason SAAB called it the Aero, or maybe this is just a joke!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Originally posted by Bacardi:
[qb]I thought the US ver of the AERO was called the SPG, now at that time we in the UK had a police force called the  Special petrol group , I don’t know if that’s the reason SAAB called it the Aero, or maybe this is just a joke!       [/qb][/b]
Is that an offshoot of the Special Patrol Group?

·
Registered
25 Posts
In the U.S., the SPG was a hot version of the old 900 Turbo 3 door and convertible (before the General got involved). Like my 9000T, the SPG had firmer suspension, was lowered a bit and (unlike the 9000) had some body cladding.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.