Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep losing pressure on the clutch pedal over the period of a couple of weeks. I bleed the clutch but the problem returns. A garage found no obvious problem but suggested the master cylinder. Is there a way to diagonose where the fault lies, and how difficult a repair is it to replace the clutch master cylinder if this is the problem

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Master cylinder failure is a common problem on the 9000. Seal kits were available for the earlier ones but often the only real cure is a new cylinder. They are available for Europarts and German & Swedish for around £50. Replacement is pretty straightforward but you will need a pressure bleeder like the Eazibled to bleed it.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
And if its not the master cylinder at fault it will be the slave cylinder. If it is the master cylinder the slave cylinder will go the same way in a few months!
Seriously they do tend to go together so be prepared. You may be lucky and get away with just changing the master cyclinder. I just kept bleeding mine until the slave gave up the ghost and then changed both cylinders along with fitting a new clutch.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
On the pre-'94 9000's there was a seal (or similar part) which gradually decomposed by the brake fluid. The deposits within the break fluid then gradually damage the seals in the Master and Slave cylinders - according to a Saab Service Manager.

For sure though, there was a recall on Saab 9000's for this common problem. I think recall information is available on the Saab GB website, but dealers can also advise... although their is little recourse on older cars except replace the parts and flush the system.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've just had mine sorted on my 93 cse,if you have fluid leaking from under the clutch,then it's the slave cylinder.If you can't find any leaks,then it's probably the master.
PS.if it is the slave,it's a big job cos the gearbox has to be opened.Give serious consideration to bunging a new clutch in at the same time,could save you a few quid in a few months time.hope this helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.