Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 1989 Saab 9000 Turbo. It has done about 225K Miles. The power steering fluid seems to have been leaking and I was caught unaware. The power steering fluid was almost empty (causing terrible noises) until I changed it.

1 week ago, I put 24 oz of fluid in and it has nearly all drained - I can see the leak.

I have pictures of the problem: http://bijan.princeton.edu/saab/ I don't know what to do exactly.

It is leaking (or so it seems) closest to front right wheel.

Saab Problem Page

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Can't actually see the leak, but it's probably the rack seals.

These are not easily replaceable, batter to get a new rack.

I would check all the pipes and bits thoug for leaks 1st.

Also, looks like you need some new front antiroll bar bushes.

Andrew

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
In theory you could disconnect it.

But a power rack is not designed to work unpowered. First off, the gearing is very high and you will find the steering almost impossibly heavy. Secondly you will have to drain the fluid (well it's doing that already
) otherwise you will be pumping the fluid around the pipes and pump by hand as well as turning an overgeared rack

I don't know the 9000 system but you will also have to disconnect the pump or it will seize. Does the drive belt work anything else? If so you will need a custom drive belt.

Probably better in the long run to get it repaired or get a reconditioned exchange unit.

I've rebuilt a power rack once. It can be done but you have to be very clean as even small dirt particles can damage the seals again. It's an indoor job and really needs special tools to expand the seals etc. I don't think I'd do it again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.