Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Car was doing okay (running well), then it started stalling out for no good reason. I am not a great mechanic but I tried some things..... new coil, but either the car did not like it or it was defective -- the car would start but the coil became very hot to touch, maybe 10 to 15 minutes, then car would stall -- new plugs, rotor, distributor cap etc. With second new coil, for several weeks the car was running very happily for 40 minutes or more then either I would cut it off (YEA! I FIXED THE ISSUE!!) or it'd cut itself off by itself (I will not quote that part). Then, the car decided to not start at all. To test for spark, I pulled a plug wire and inserted new plug of the proper type, got it high enough up (clamped to a wood board) so I could see it while cranking the car (I was and am working alone so I had to be in driver's seat to crank the engine) and never saw a spark. Then I redid this but added a wire from the base of the spark plug (the part with the screw threads) to a ground. (So the spark would have "something to jump to.") No spark. Tried in-line spark detectors with engine in normal configuration (that is plug wires reattached) and -- again -- never saw a spark. My only idea is the Crankshaft Position Sensor has quit. My issues now...... never replaced one, have NO idea where it is or how to pursue this.... and does this sound like the correct thing to try to fix???? Thanks for any and all help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the idea. Sadly, I must admit I have no knowledge of a pickup in the distributor....!!?? Is there a schematic that would show it?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts