Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a heavy heart I need to let TUR581M go - I am moving overseas at the beginning of next month and it can't come with me. I bought this car from the son of the original owner in December, in pretty fine mechanical fettle but needing a considerable about of structural welding to save it from being scrapped.

Having intended to keep the car long-term, I decided to have the underneath taken care of 'properly' once and for all, rather than just a quick bodge to get it through its MoT. Work carried out thus far includes:

- New full-length sills from Highgate Saab
- Two used rear wings
- Two used doors
- One used front wing
- Brake overhaul (Rear shoes / cylinders, front pads, new hoses all round, handbrake overhaul)
- Numerous patches welded around the front & rear inner wings and exhaust
- New steering rack gaiters
- Track-rod end
- Period 'Klippan' static rear seatbelts to match the front ones
- Engine service
- Repair driver's door handle mechanism

The only thing left to do is paintwork. The used wings and doors I fitted are free of rust in all the important places, but they do have some superficial surface rust. My plan had been to use the car over this Summer, and then to garage it over the Winter and have it freshly painted in time for next Spring.

I been quoted £900 for a 'proper' respray which would take care of all the imperfections, but you could spend anywhere from a couple of hundred to a couple of grand on the paintwork depending on your budget and aspirations.

Financially, the car stands me at around £2,500. I have an invoice for £2,225-83 for the above, quoting "Time taken - eternity", plus the 'new' wings and doors, plus assorted other buts and bobs. Obviously I don't hope to recover all of this, but I think it's worth £2,000. Given the limited time available, I'm more than happy to entertain sensible offers.

The car comes with a huge stack of paperwork, dating back to the orginal Bill of Sale and encompassing pretty much every penny ever spent on the car. I also have the original service card (appropriately stamped), owners' manual and so on.

Various reports, both on the car's purchase and subsequent bits of work, can be found in the past few issues of 'Driver'. Photos will follow in the next few days once it stops raining and I can find the time to polish it.

Any questions feel free to PM me here or give me a ring: 07962 239 462

·
Registered
1 Posts
With a heavy heart I need to let TUR581M go - I am moving overseas at the beginning of next month and it can't come with me. I bought this car from the son of the original owner in December, in pretty fine mechanical fettle but needing a considerable about of structural welding to save it from being scrapped.

Having intended to keep the car long-term, I decided to have the underneath taken care of 'properly' once and for all, rather than just a quick bodge to get it through its MoT. Work carried out thus far includes:

• New full-length sills from Highgate Saab
  • Two used rear wings
  • Two used doors
  • One used front wing
  • Brake overhaul (Rear shoes / cylinders, front pads, new hoses all round, handbrake overhaul)
  • Numerous patches welded around the front & rear inner wings and exhaust
  • New steering rack gaiters
  • Track-rod end
  • Period 'Klippan' static rear seatbelts to match the front ones
  • Engine service
  • Repair driver's door handle mechanism

The only thing left to do is paintwork. The used wings and doors I fitted are free of rust in all the important places, but they do have some superficial surface rust. My plan had been to use the car over this Summer, and then to garage it over the Winter and have it freshly painted in time for next Spring.

I been quoted £900 for a 'proper' respray which would take care of all the imperfections, but you could spend anywhere from a couple of hundred to a couple of grand on the paintwork depending on your budget and aspirations.

Financially, the car stands me at around £2,500. I have an invoice for £2,225-83 for the above, quoting "Time taken - eternity", plus the 'new' wings and doors, plus assorted other buts and bobs. Obviously I don't hope to recover all of this, but I think it's worth £2,000. Given the limited time available, I'm more than happy to entertain sensible offers.

The car comes with a huge stack of paperwork, dating back to the orginal Bill of Sale and encompassing pretty much every penny ever spent on the car. I also have the original service card (appropriately stamped), owners' manual and so on.

Various reports, both on the car's purchase and subsequent bits of work, can be found in the past few issues of 'Driver'. Photos will follow in the next few days once it stops raining and I can find the time to polish it.

Any questions feel free to PM me here or give me a ring: 07962 239 462
I was the original owner would be great to hear if that lovely old car is still running….

1 - 2 of 2 Posts