Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
It's possible but you will be running on tyres like rubber bands and 18's might well make the car look like a roller skate. 17's are about the limit for the 9000 in terms of ride quality and aesthetics IMO.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have had my 2.3T 1994 lowered by 30 mm, and will get some tyres with 17" wheels at some stage.
The height of tyre would be either 40 or 45, quite narrow enough to look good.

I have had it recommended by a couple of reliable sources that with a lowering of 30mm, anything bigger than 17" would:

1/. make required tyres look like rubber bands, as already mentioned (Too BMW)
2/. Go too far for optimum handling/comfort combo, I gather 16 or 17 inch.
3/. Increase chances of scraping wheels every time you hit a kerb thicker than a lolly stick
4/. Contact with arches etc..
5/. ££££££££££

Cheers,
Andy.
205/60/15's.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Ask yourself some questions .....like why the 17" or 18" wheels? Perhaps you have seen some other cars in this size? SAABS, especially the 9000, performs at its optimum in this respect when on 16" wheels with the 205/50 tyres, for driving conditions the car is designed for! Any wider in width and larger in diameter, the law of Diminishing Returns applies! Therefore, do not try to downgrade the excellent SAAB aesthetics to match the many Granadas and the similar like we all see on the roads with the 17"/18" wheels and silly looking rubberband tyres!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Ive got 17's and I love 'em.
.but when I got them at first they did everything wrong ..kerbed at the slightest provocation, terrible tramlining ,choppy ride ..
Had a think and reckoned there was insufficient tyre wall compliance... ooer missus

origonal tyres were 205 /45 x 17 on aq 7,5 j rim
went for 235/40 x 17 goodyear f1's

result absolute heaven..ride went back to before (as on 16 's),no kerbing and these tyres stick like s**t to the blanket

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Yeah, we've been here before. I simply won't consider 18" rims while I live in Tamworth, the rough, pot-holed surfaces would result in rims that look like the scraps from a potters wheel.

My 9000CD will have 15" until the 6000 service (possibly longer if I'm skint) and then I plan to get some 16"'s. I'll only consider 17"'s if I can get an outstanding deal on a wheel/tyre package.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Jason/.
Have a quick look at www.smartcar.co.uk , they do good stuff, especially look at wheel packages, their prices quoted include fitted tyres
(approrriate to the wheel inch size of course), but you can email them for a tailored quoted, and also include vat and balancing. Only cost to add on I think is 25 Quid for delivery. Loads of luuuuverly wheels..
Some of the styling stuff and boy racer bits are all a bit naff in other sections though.

If you are still surfing, have a quick shuffty. .

Cheers, Andy

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just check the offset from the hub, as my rear tyres scrape against the mudflaps when I corner with more than two adults in the back. REALLY irritating on family holiday recently with full boot and 3 teenage children. Yokohama S306 205/60/15 on standard 15" rims.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Ylee,
"Had a think and reckoned there was insufficient tyre wall compliance...
origonal tyres were 205 /45 x 17 on aq 7,5 j rim
went for 235/40 x 17 goodyear f1's"

This sounds to me like the F1's would have less sidewall??(40 profile versus 45 previously) Or is it because the width is wider(and the sidewall is taller,even though the profiles lower), or could it be that the Goodyear is just a better tyre?
I had F1's on my Carlsson, and was impressed, but they were 205/50/ZR16. Now I have the Aero with Yokohama 539's 215/45/ZR17, and they tramline etc.
What were your origional tyres? Also, what do you think of the above???
Nick.
PS. I believe you have an Aero. If so, does it have lowered suspension, as mine has?

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
the 205's were khomo or other cheap ones..cannot remember
the best way to describe these as being "tight" on the rims ...the sidewall was straight up and down
the goodyears bulge out significantly because they are 235's the sidewall height is actually higher as you say...

There is a web site somewhere that works all this out for you.If I can find it I will post it here.
And yes they are good tyres so that might account for some of the difference
The suspension is (still ) standard aero

1 - 14 of 14 Posts