Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've now got them fitted and great they are! Only thing is, what should I run the pressures at? I am currently testing on 30 as 35 was too harsh.

All I need to do is find a tyre company that can balance tyres properly (they are way out at Motorway!) and I will be sorted for Le Mans 24hr!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Which size of tyre did you go for?
As a very rough estimate, assuming the same longitudinal contact patch and 35psi on a 205/55/16, the equivalent might be 33psi for a 215-section tyre and 32psi for a 225-section tyre.

Whether my assumptions are valid is anyone's guess

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
215/45/17. Ed reckoned 28psi for their demo car, but that sounds too low. I would be happy to run them at that for added comfort, as long as it does not wear out tyres.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by JezF:
[qb]Ed reckoned 28psi for their demo car[/qb][/b]
Hmm... I forgot to take into account the extra stiffness of the reduced sidewall height. Perhaps 28-30 is nearer the mark when compared to 35psi in the standard tyres. If you're talking about the red demonstrator, I've driven that and it felt quite tight, yet still fairly comfortable. I'll be watching your experience with interest as I'll be fitting the same tyre size to my Aero shortly.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Originally posted by JezF:
[qb]Well, I've now got them fitted and great they are! Only thing is, what should I run the pressures at? I am currently testing on 30 as 35 was too harsh.
[/qb][/b]
Oooh havn't I mentioned this before.. 17's are just a bit too much on our poor Sussex roads. Especially with your sensitivity Jez.
Let us know how you get on with the lower pressures. I tried it but at the time had not got the dampers set up as well as I have now, and the result was less than impressive.

Nick.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know, Nick, but they look really nice.

Seriously, I drove the Abott car and it felt just as soft as mine. I will keep you updated!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 17s and lowered AR springs fitted to my 9000 Aero and had tramlining, harsh ride torque steer .... A telephone call to Giles resulted in a drop of pressures from 35psi to 28psi and a transformation. Some 6000 miles later and there is no obvious sign of the tyres wearing on the outer edges due to the lower pressures. Nor do they seem to get really hot after high speed runs so I think it is ok

·
Registered
215 Posts
Y'know, for a while now, I've been thinking the 17s on my Aero just look a bit dwarfed by the rest of the car. I have been looking around and 18s don't seem to look a lot bigger. I have seen a few pics of 19s and yup... STILL TOO SMALL!

Have I been watching too many episodes of MTV Cribs or are 20s the only way to go? And will they fit?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Dear Jimster,

No you haven't completely lost it. I have been having the same thoughts about my aero wagon. I have seen some pics of the Hirsch wagon with the 18" wheels and slightly dropped suspension. I think that would do for me. cool:
I spoke recently to the chap at Reading Saab about why the tyres for the 18" wheels were still recommended at 225 despite going down to a 40 profile from 45 on the 17". He said that there was a problem with the car if fully loaded (with people presumably, as opposed to options) and rubbing of the innner edge of the tyre on the wheel arches. I just wonder therefore if a 19" or 20" wheel could also run you into the same kind of potential problem???

It would look,however,the complete business.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Didn't Stefan (Saxelsso) have 19" BBS wheels fitted to his MY02 9-5 Aero wagon with 235/35*19 tyres, seem to remember he had the Eibach(?) suspension fitted as well...might be worth PM-ing him to see if he had arch rubbing issues.

·
Registered
215 Posts
This 02 wagon is running on 19s and I can't believe how small they look:
[url=http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SQAAAGwUvsgEsQN1zyePj25jtfLwoDCGSz32PFbSxF7hyrXp!5TE*02nqcpjEzH2ql*iAXqI!Emo5SL
YplRWafhNVWPjpMIqam*skFOvSP1!PQAdaYoSA/9-5-on-19]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SQAAAGwUv...?dc=46754258432[/url] 17579501

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Dad Racer:
[qb]they DO look too much because I'm a sad old bloke.[/qb][/b]
I must be one too, because most of those look too "Max Power" to me, some of them as if someone slammed them down as far as they would go and fitted absolutely the largest-diameter wheels they could possibly fit in an extreme fit of "form over function". Each to their own, of course, but I've seen some nicer results which were achieved with the exercise of a little restraint.

Personally, I'd prefer to leave my 9000 Aero looking completely standard and let its (considerable) performance speak for itself, but have resigned myself to fitting 17" wheels because I want to fit larger brakes that won't fit inside the 16" wheels.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Totally with you there. The 5 spokes above are all too muppety, esp the kitted one at bottom and the graphics on the estate on top. Just needs the "Kermit Miss Piggy" sunstrip for to total muppet effect. They don't call them spoilers for nothing...

If you google.com for Boyd Coddington and his Chezoom car, that's the look I love. Just the shape, and very few details. Minimal, Pure lines. I spent a fortune on my old Golf getting all the clutter off it...

I think the BBS look the best of that lot, but BBS do nicer designs IMHO.

Ideally I would like my current 17 3-spoke aero ones, but scaled up to 19... Or a sneaky 20. Nothing else needed. Apart from more power - another 100 would be nice...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts