Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TWO EVENTS FOLLOW

LAZY SUNDAY AFTERNOON GET TOGETHER

For all those of us who fancy a drive out, how about getting together at the Blagdon Lake Visitors Centre for a chat or picnic. It is set in the grounds of an old Victorian Pumping station. There are also some great walks, something for the kids and you can feed the fish!

Parking was free, and informal. It's open from 2pm till 6pm, so would be ideal for an afterlunch get together.

Description from their web site:
This summer, why not enjoy a peaceful afternoon in the beautiful surroundings of Blagdon Pumping Station and Visitor Centre. Whether your interests lie in science, history or the environment there's so much to enjoy. Inside, the centre is packed with exhibits and hands-on displays as well as a room dedicated to the charity WaterAid where you can have a go on a working hand pump. Best of all, the giant beam engine will be turning...just like it has done for almost 100 years. Outside we have acres of space for picnics and a chance to wander our nature trail. You might even get a chance to feed some of our 20,000 trout on site.

Details can be found here
West Country meet

The drive to the pumping station is through some stunning countryside and its close to the main A roads.

It's open every Sunday so how about the 16th May?

1) Naranto

BRISTOL CAR SHOW
Sunday 13 June 2004
Durdham Down, Bristol.

In aid of Bernardos.
Entry fee £5 payble to Bernardos.
Chance to get together and help a charity. Lots of cars old and new. You must pre-book. PM me and I will send you a copy of the entry form as a PDF.
1) Naranto

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A few others from Saab Central are going along to the Blagdon Lake get together and suggested a pub lunch first.

So may I suggest....
Burrington Inn, Burrington Coomb. Not particularly pretty as pubs go but serves very good food at a reasonable price (also welcomes youngsters) and you can use the excuse/reason that it is ideally placed for any gardening requirements - it is right next to a garden centre

If you are all up for it I will try and book some tables closer to the date.

1) Naranto and far better half plus 2 offsprung
2)

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like the pub meal will be at The Blagdon Inn - much bigger car park, good food and splendid views over the valley.

Now don't you all rush at once!

1) Naranto & family
2) Martin & family
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

·
Registered
229 Posts
The 16th is good for me, just back off holiday .

Looks like the pub meal will be at The Blagdon Inn - much bigger car park, good food and splendid views over the valley.

Now don't you all rush at once!

1) Naranto & family
2) Martin & family
3) SenTineL
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For anyone going to the Bristol/Barnardos Car Show, Durdham Downs on Sunday 13th June, here are links to a PDF of the booking form. You must pre-book to be sure of getting in.
Booking form page 1

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lazy Sunday Meet May 16th

What with the list from Saab Central it looks like we will have a good day. I am going over there for Sunday lunch (purely for information puposes you understand ) so will report back with more information on menus and facilities - i'll try to remember to take a few pics as well..

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lazy Sunday Get Together

Decided to drive over to Blagdon Sunday morning to check out the pub meet location. IT IS CALLED THE NEW INN.

Pub opens 12.30 on Sundays, so I suggest we meet around 12.15ish - car park will/should be empty so we can get the best spots.

Here are directions:

FOR PUB MEET
If approaching from the Churchill end (A38) it is the other side of the village.
Look for a pub on your right hand side called 'The Live and Let Live'.
Turn left here into Church Road. Sign says 'Inn'.
Proceed along this narrow road for about 500 yards.
The 'NEW INN' is on your right. Breathtaking views, outdoor seating and good size.

We were unable to stay on Sunday, so I will give it another visit this week, check the menus and speak to the landlord.

FOR BLAGDON LAKE PUMPING STATION
If approaching from the Churchill end (A38) it is near the centre of the village.
Just past The Queen Adelaide pub...
look for Blagdon Village Club on your left - it is on a 90 degree right hand up hill bend!
Turn left here (Station Road)and proceed down the hill till the road flattens out .
Entrance to the Pumping Station is on your left.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
BRISTOL CAR SHOW
Sunday 13 June 2004
Durdham Down, Bristol.

In aid of Bernardos.
Chance to get together and help a charity. Lots of cars old and new. You must pre-book. PM me and I will send you a copy of the entry form as a PDF.
1) Naranto
2}Mr and Mrs Zaphod Beeblebrox

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BRISTOL CAR SHOW Sunday 13 June 2004
Durdham Down, Bristol.

In aid of Bernardos.
Chance to get together and help a charity.
Lots of cars old and new. You must pre-book - here are links to a PDF of the booking form.
You must pre-book to be sure of getting in.
Booking form

1) Naranto & family
2) Martin & family
3) SenTineL

4) Mr and Mrs Zaphod Beeblebrox

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LAZY SUNDAY AFTERNOON GET TOGETHER
16th May Pub lunch and visit to Blagdon Lakes Victorian Pumping Station.

Here is a link to the pub.
The New Inn

I have also emailed the owner to ensure he is happy with so many Saabs in his car park

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The 16th is good for me too.

1) Naranto & family
2) Martin & family
3) SenTineL
4) Nev
5) Mr and Mrs Beeblebrox
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

Think we'll have to cry off the Bristol Car Show though, as I will not be able to get the vehicles ready in time

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IMPORTANT: PUB MEET UPDATE

16TH MAY- LAZY SUNDAY GET TOGETHER FOR BLAGDON LAKES.
As the numbers are increasing (Saabscene+Saab Central) I contacted the pub to ensure it would still be OK. Reply is as follows:

Sorry but we cannot take the number quoted and as we are a small inn will not be able to accommodate the numbers envisaged. I am sorry that we cannot help you in this instance but hope that you can find an alternative venue.

So I will try a couple of alternatives,unless anyone can help me out and recommned a pub that can take around 30+ for lunch (inc children) and a car park large enough for an estimated 14 cars?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
IMPORTANT: PUB MEET UPDATE
16TH MAY- LAZY SUNDAY GET TOGETHER FOR BLAGDON LAKES.

OK everything has now been booked!

I have spoken to the Burrington Inn, Burrington Combe who have put a room aside for us for Sunday 16th at 12.30ish. They can take us all!

Burrington Inn

They have a wide selection of food to suite all tastes and welcome children.

Please can everyone let me know numbers by Saturday 15th so enough tables and chairs can be prepared.

The Inn is next door to a garden centre. I suggest we all try and park next to the Inn - to the right as you look at it.

Please do not hesitate to email me if you ahve any questions or wish to cancel.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Following a few enquiries, just to let everyone know, the Burrington Inn does accept Credit Cards.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LAST CALL FOR OUR LAZY SUNDAY GET TOGETHER.

Either email me or call on 01275 836222 before 9.30am on Sunday.

We still have plenty of room available at the Inn (heard that somewhere before
) so don't miss out!

Sales pitch over!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can I say a big thanks to all those who attended this event. Hope you all enjoyed the 'lazy' day.
We had 15 cars there, though we did miss Paco & Co and Mr & Mrs Munki! I have tried to remember all the names, but apologies for those I forgot - it's my age you know!

Here are a few pics. If you would like higher resolution copies, send me a PM.
An honorable mention to Fred and David! who both travelled a fair distance to be here.

Thanks again

Naranto

Sentinel,Heli-Saaber, Fred

AlanB, ?, Mrs Naranto

Erica _Martins of Jamsaabs far better half, Naranto (i'm taking the picture so you can't see me, AlanS

Paul(?),Alex, The Beetlebrox's

Big Nev, David!, Martin of Jamsaab

1 - 20 of 24 Posts