Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after finally finding a set of Super Aero wheels, I need y'all's advice on tyre sizes. The handbook for my 1994 FPT says 205/50-16, but the later cars use 205/55-16.

Which should I buy and why?

Also, is anyone on this board using anything other the Bridgestone S-03? I am curious because the Pirelli P7 won the recent Autocar test.

I await your most learned responses with great interest and trepidation.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have 16 super aero wheels. Im currently running 205/55/16 goodyear eagle f1. They were a lot cheaper trhe trhe s03, and perform very similarly.

Not sure of the 205/50/16, but mine should have them. I suppose slightly less tyre flex? Better handling? Can anybody normal notice it?

Do the super aero wheels take 215/45/16 size tyres? saw a very good offer on them recently....What difference would that be?

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Also, is anyone on this board using anything other the Bridgestone S-03? I am curious because the Pirelli P7 won the recent Autocar test.[/b]
Yes, I'm using Toyo Proxes T1-S all round. 205/50 W R16 on a set of 16 x 6.5 Aero wheels. They are VERY sticky, HUGE levels of grip in the current warm weather. I keep thinking my cars handling like a sack of manure until I look at the speedo, then it's a case of "Ahhh, that's why it's rolling on it's springs"!

They're also extremely quiet and lest I forget, cheaper than S-03's.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
BTW, with the 1993 on CS and facelifted CDE's you can run larger tyres than 205/50's on 16" rims. IIRC Bill and Andrew (Scaero) were/are running 225/55 R16's on their Aero's so you should be able to run the same size on any MY94 9000.

·
Registered
250 Posts
As so often the case, I guess it's a balance of grip & longevity, then maybe tyre noise. What's your ideal balance?

On my '96 2.3LPT I'm running Nokian NRH2's. Admittedly the tyres are 195x65-15s (but I like a higher tyrewall because the roads round here are awful). They're directional, very quiet, fairly grippy. Whether they'll last well I will see - only done 2K miles so far. Mine were £50 each all in. I talked to Motorvation Saab in Pembury and they fit them where possible to all their Saabs. The way they talked about them being a good match for Saabs reminded me of some previous discussion threads re. Gislaveds. I'm sure the sizes you're after are covered.

Also noted Mr Torque Steer's comments re. Toyo Proxes. My Dad has a set of 205x50-16 Proxes on his 9-3SE and they are indeed hugely sticky - I was v. impressed. Going round some corners at speed, I was flailing into the door bins! And yes, they were quiet too. Believe they cost him £60-£65 ea.

BTW, I'm sure directional tyres like the above virtually eliminate tramlining because of their treads. I used to have some Conti-Sports (205x55-16) on my previous Nissan Primera (car chosen in a weak moment, I know). Driving around Warwickshire's B-roads, the tyres would often scare the s*1t out of me. It was like the car was on tracks and the steering had a life of its own. But since using directionals, I can't actually think of a single moment when tramlining has occurred...

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The size given in my book, and in the handbook of a friends 1993 Griffin is 205/50-16. I believe that in later years it was changed to 205/55-16. Does anyone know why? And does anyone have an opinion as to which is better?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I use to have 205/50-15 Bridestone Potenza´s on my 9-3 FPT and they were a huge improvement against the org. pirelli´s. Traction was greatly improved especially in the whet and road noice was almost eliminated! I would go for those again.

A freind of mine changed his Potenza´s for F1s on his Audi S6 and will go back to the Potenzas again!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yes, I'm using Pirelli P7s they were the first upgrade I made from budget tyres and what a major difference. Originally wanted SO-3s but both local suppliers had a 10 day lead time, but could get the P7s next day so after seeeing the Autocar reviews I went for them ( at £85 each compared to £92 for the Bridgestones). 1800 miles in and no sign of wear, difficult to get wheel spin and they hold the road great as i test out the new Bilsteins round the bends!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Mark B:
[qb]The size given in my book, and in the handbook of a friends 1993 Griffin is 205/50-16.[/qb][/b]
Is your car a pre-facelift model? i.e. a -'92 hatchback or a -'4 or -'95 CD? If so, the lower profile is down to less wheel-arch clearance.

To keep the speedo reading correct, you should use the specified tyre profile (or an equivalent width/profile combination that will maintain the same outside diameter).

I'd say the advantage of the 205/55/16 size is purely better ride quality. However, I know that MarkA fitted these to his '92 CD Griffin and they contacted (and cracked) his wheel-arch trims. They are not the specified size for that car.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My car is a 94MY CSE, and it has the correct year handbook, which gives the optional size as 205/50-16. I mentioned it to Abbott, and they said that the 55 series tyres were introduced at the same time as the gearing was lowered (to offset the effect!!). Not heard that one before!

·
Registered
547 Posts
I need to change the rear tyres on my Aero as they are right on the borderline. Kwik Fit are quoting £115 for S-03s and £96 for Michelin Pilot Premacy (as I've got at the mo'). I've still got plenty of wear on the fronts.

My questions are,

Are those prices reasonable?

Is there an issue running different tyres front and rear?

Is there value in getting the new tyres on the front and swapping the older tyres to the rear?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Got a quote from MichelDever for a set of 205/55 R16 Bridgestone Potenza S-03s.
They were looking for £328 for 4 inc. vat and fitting. Kwik fit make me laugh everytime.

I'm going to fit these to my aero soon mainly due to their astounding wet weather grip.

http://www.micheldever.co.uk/

(thet can post them and I think they may have other branches under a different name)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Well I never, I did a web search for bargain tyres and found these folk.

http://www.blackcircles.com/

When I did a search by vehicle (97 9000 2.3 16s Aero) they identified that I should be using 195/65/R15 V tyres.

Thank goodness I found them, how long would it have been before my insistence on putting 16" tyres on my Aero caused me to have an accident. There's a salutory lesson for us all here.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
mytyres look good - S03s coming in at just over £330inc. vat and fitting for 4.

PS - I think I'm drifting from the question --- I sold my heart on the S03s but have not compared them directly to Michelins (always found them noisy, but last well) and havent tried the Pirelli P7s
I also never encountrered the rapid wear descibed re. the S03s - I had them on my Mr2 turbo and they lasted for well over 12k miles on the back and I dont drive slowly.

My aero runs 205/55/16s as per spec. I image 50 spec will affect the gearing/speedo reading though only very slightly.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gordy,

I would put the new pair on the front as the front does

1) all of the driving
2) most of the braking and
3) most of the cornering.

Also the fronts are the first to hit any deep water, and they clear a path for the rears, so more tread on the fronts is better. However, the rears will never wear out then as they do so little on a front drive car.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.