Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would have to say 17" wheel as I have had 18"s and found they were a little too soft and had to buy three more on top of my original four due to buckling them!!
This was on Azev M wheels.

I have had 17"s for a while now and had no problems.

·
Registered
57 Posts
heyes,

I will get Compomotive MO wheels (in silver ) when my current tyres are past their best. They are more subtle than most and the rear's don't look so awkward with the small brake disks. I will probably stick with 16 inch and SO 3's as these still give enough room to put an AP set on the front. When I spoke to Compomotive, they said they would make the wheel to the correct offset.

Also, are the Super Aero wheels 6.5x16? If so, what is the widest rim you can easily fit? Are 7x16 or 7x17 feasable? Could I run 215/50/16 all round?

Dave.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I see I'm not the only one who's had to replace 18's (Kahn RSR's) due to buckling .

I would definetly recommend 17's I wish I had chosen them instead, 18's look great but I've found the ride quality really suffers.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by marino:
[qb] I will probably stick with 16 inch and SO 3's as these still give enough room to put an AP set on the front.  [/qb][/b]
Are you sure about that
, there are precious few 17" wheels that allow the fitment of the AP kit and 330mm discs, let alone 16"....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hmmm, you may be right but I have used an AP set on a car with 15 inch Compomotive's. I am not sure on the disk size, but they ran with floating disks. I wouldn't change in the near future as I currently run the Viggen 308's (much better with braided hoses and DOT5.1) but it would be an option if I decided to track it.

I will check the disk size I ran on the 15's

Dave.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I would probably say 16" if you stick to normal brakes, 17" if you want to go for 4 pots. I am sure I am right in saying that 4 pots will not fit behind any normal 16" wheel.

17's are a good ride/handling balance; I would certainly avoid 18's as the 9000's have a tendancy to be harsh anyway.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by Gary N:
[qb]I see I'm not the only one who's had to replace 18's (Kahn RSR's) due to buckling    
[/qb][/b]
That's because they are made from [expletive deleted] soft metal alloy.....

If you want 18" wheels that are more resistant to buckling you need to buy motorsport quality wheels not 'image' wheels.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I'd stick with the 16" super aeros if you're not planning on a disc upgrade.

I find anything else much too hard on the ride. I prefer the relative peace and quiet I get from these and the Dunlop Sport SP 9000's.

Must admit though, I think the michelins pilot primacy's were much noisier and surprisingly, these horrible Nangkang things were the most quiet I've ever had.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I believe there is a Compomotive race spec 16" wheel that will alow the fitment of 330mm APs.

As for which wheels to go for, I'd say 17" is probably the best compromise. I've had 16,17 and now 18 on my 9000.

The 18's (Tecnomagnesio) are holding up very well, although the ride is noticeably harsher than 17". I've offset this by going back to rubber drop links and front ARB bushes.

I kept my 17s in case I couldn't live with the 18s but I think I've decided that after 6 months or so, I am happy with them- especially as they look so nice (see avatar).

Be aware though that you can't get AP brakes behind most 17" rims (including the Azevs). This is due to the width of the caliper rather than the diameter of the discs.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by Bubbles:
[qb]I believe there is a Compomotive race spec 16" wheel that will alow the fitment of 330mm APs.

[/qb][/b]
True to a point, but not cheap....in fact when mentioned to the Compomotive rep at the rallycar day in August, he said for a road car it would be cheaper to buy larger dia. wheels and new tyres than to buy a set of those

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
[qb]Also, are the Super Aero wheels 6.5x16? If so, what is the widest rim you can easily fit? Are 7x16 or 7x17 feasable? Could I run 215/50/16 all round? [/qb][/b]
Yes, Super Aero's are 6.5x16.

7x17's are no problem, as long as they are the correct offset of course.
IIRC Ylee is running 7.5x17's on his Aero.

215/50/16...?????
Are you sure you don't mean 225/50/16, if so, yes, there are a few Aero owners running these size tyres on standard Aero or SuperAero wheels with no problem.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes, thanks for that aeropilot, I put the Super's in the tyre size calculator at 195/55/16
. Options are 225/50/16 or 225/45/17.

The 4 pot AP race set that I have run were on 308mm AP disks tucked behind 15 inch Compomotive's. I assume disk size maybe dictated by the mass of the car. Bubbles got it spot on Re. the wheel size, it's not just the internal diameter of the wheel that's important but the clearence for the calliper width.

I took the SAAB to Hi-Spec (superb brakes but nightmare service) for a look/see and he said that the Super Aero design was the problem, no width clearence.

Also, the reason I would go for the Compomotive's is that they are cheaper than the bling bling types but are made for motorsport - heat treated/tested etc.

Dave.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
[qb]The 4 pot AP race set that I have run were on 308mm AP disks tucked behind 15 inch Compomotive's. I assume disk size maybe dictated by the mass of the car. Bubbles got it spot on Re. the wheel size, it's not just the internal diameter of the wheel that's important but the clearence for the calliper width.

I took the SAAB to Hi-Spec (superb brakes but nightmare service) for a look/see and he said that the Super Aero design was the problem, no width clearence.

Also, the reason I would go for the Compomotive's is that they are cheaper than the bling bling types but are made for motorsport - heat treated/tested etc.

[/qb][/b]
Aah I see, well yes with a custom brake setup then you may well get away with the 16" MO's. I was assuming you were refering to the off-the shelf AP kit sold direct by AP or by Abbott Racing, which uses the 330mm discs.

Your reasons behind choosing Compomotive are

This was going to be my route as well, had I kept my 9000 Aero. I was going for 7x17" MO's which by the investigations I'd done, looked likely to have accepted the 330mm AP kit.
I was going to try and get them in gold aswell which would have looked
with the Scarabe Green colour.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.