Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Mark B, a friend of mine called me yesterday advising that he had a set of four new Gislaved Winter tyres (8mm tread) to suit Saab 9000 with 15" wheels.

Depends whether you want an excuse to go to 16" - otherwise private message me and I'll give you his details.

/john

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I think so, for a start 9000s look lovely with aeros fitted (in my opinion.) and it gives you a chance to fit high-performance tyres.. which I think is a good thing, considering they are the only thing that's connected to the ground on your 1500kg rocket sled.

I've just replaced 15'' cross-spoke wheels (which had Michelin 195/65 r15 MXV3A tyres) with 16'' two-tone aero wheels with Dunlop SP9000 205/55 r16 tyres.. on my 9000 2.3T and a huge difference can be felt.. you actually feel like you are connected to the road.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
/john,

Thanks for the offer. I don't really need winter tyres as it does not often snow here by the Thames. Also, winter tyres are not "Z" speed rated, so British insurers would probably take some convincing that they are OK.

Mark_A,

I also believe that only the best tyres are good enough. The 15 inch Michelin Pilot Primacy (205/60) is pretty good, but going to 16 inches would let me use Michelin Pilot Sport, which I like on another car we have. By the way, the 16 inch size given in my handbook is 205/50-16 not 205/55-16. Perhaps things are different in the Netherlands!

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I certainly don't recommend Michelin Pilot Sport... I have them on my 9-3 (225/45-17) and they are [expletive deleted] in the wet.

I believe mine really let me down at the Abbott trackday.. the track felt like glass most of the time (and these tyres were still sitting with at least 5mm of tread)... they might even have contributed to the tail stepping out under light load.

I think the Dunlops (sp9000) are far better than the Michelins in the wet, but the Bridgestone S-03s will be my next choice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts