Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine is a 9000 Griffin and I have anniversary rims fitted which I rather like. Its time to buy some new rubber and I asked my local tyre dealer if I could put 205's on the car despite the original tyre size being 195/65 R15. I checked the tyre placard and there is no 205/60R15 although the tyre dealer assured me that the original diameter would be maintained. Should I go for the 205 ER-50 Turanza or go for the original 195/65 R15 on the Michelin MXV8 (which is around 20 pounds more expensive per corner?).

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
My handbook lists both 195/65R15 and 205/60R15 for 1994 MY cars. I'm not sure whether the wheels that the different tyres sizes came fitted to were the same. The 195 tyres may have been fitted to narrower (often steel) rims, but I'm not sure. If I find anything in my handbook later, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
My 96 CSE has 205/60 as standard. My previous one had 195/65. Both sizes are listed as alternatives in the handbook and both cars have alloy wheels.
The only downside to 205's is that they don't grip so well in snow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's true, my 93 9000 CS handbook also lists both 195/65R15 and 205/60R15. I currently use 205, indeed.

I have another question related to this topic. My car alloy wheels are the typical 15 inches three-spoke (curved spokes, you know
). I would like to mount 215/55 15 when I replace the tyres (I think this will occur in less than 10.000 km because I like to feel the turbo power ). Would it be possible with these alloy wheels, or should I replace them? In the last case, I would buy 16 inches Super Aero wheels

Thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's good to know, I am putting the wider tyre on then. In respect to snow, we don't get any of that in Melbourne so there is no down side. I suppose the other question is, is it worth paying top dollar for the MXV8 Michelin tyres or go for Bridgestone Turanza tyre - which is supposed to be just as good but not as expensive ... any thoughts anyone????

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
We don't get the MXV8 in the UK, however a quick look at the Michelin Aussie website suggests that it's a new version of the MXV3. My first comment therefore is that is probably not speed rated for your car. The usual Michelin choice here would be the Pilot Sport, but it only starts at 16". Similarly the Aussie listed Pilot HX MXM in 205/60-15 is only V rated which is too slow for a Griffin. I'm now officially confused.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you sure that V rating is too slow for a V6 Griffin? I don't think the car can do more than 240km/h (I have never tried). Incidently the in the state that we live in here in Melbourne traffic law prohibits anyone travelling more than 110km/h on our enormous flat wide and bone-dry freeways. Whislt I have sometimes fractured this law and lived to tell the story I have never pushed the car past 180km/hr because any other car on the road is going too slow (its like driving through a car park at 80 clicks , hairy!) and the basic Aussie tradition on roads and freeways involves risking life and limb to prevent anyone overtaking you ever or merging into your lane (stark contrast to my experience in Italy recently - I have never seen so many people equally committed to collectively getting to where they want to go as fast as possible, in apparent cooperation and harmony). Don't know about the UK, but I am afarid we breed a pretty special breed of idiot in Australia, fuelled by the fact that the average worhtless clunker is a sloppily built V8 or V6 that is capable of being a real nuisance and getting in everyone's way at very high speeds. Sadly our young women are equaling the men here by often driving more aggressively and senslessly than many young male drivers..... I digress....

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Originally posted by Mark B:
[qb]Similarly the Aussie listed Pilot HX MXM in 205/60-15 is only V rated which is too slow for a Griffin. [/qb][/b]
Too Slow!!??
I have 205/60R15 V Rated tyres on my 200bhp CSE. The tyre that is stated as the correct one for my car by Saab is a Z rated tyre. The V tyre is rated to 149mph. As the 200bhp B234 engine can only push the car to 143mph, why bother to get the Z rated tyre.

The Z tyre rating is not speed restricted. However, the them 'speed rating' is somewhat misleading, as most will never attain the maximum speed listed for the tyre.

It should be considered a performance rating, as it represents the standard to which a tyre is built and able to withstand the forces generated by the vehicle.

So the V rating is suitable for all 200bhp 9000's.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I don't necessarily disagree with either of you. However I am aware of several instances in the UK where insurance companies have refused to pay out after low speed crashes because people had fitted tyres with speed ratings lower than those specified by the manufacturer. Obviously this is just a method for the insurers to get out of paying, but we should be aware of the risk. It is a bit of a grey area, as when the cars were built we only had H, V & Z ratings, but now the Z has been replaced by W & Y. See this link for more info.

Of course winter tyres are only H rated, which would no doubt confuse your average UK insurance company, but there we are.

If you don't believe me about the insurers that haven't paid out, ask Abbott.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
It should be considered a performance rating, as it represents the standard to which a tyre is built and able to withstand the forces generated by the vehicle.[/b]
Not strictly true. It applies to the speeds at which the tyre is capable of running at for sustained periods. All tyres flex as they are driven. The faster they are run the the more flexing takes place and this generates heat, eventually causing the tread to break up. By reducing the thickness of the tyre less heat is generated but the tyre wears out quicker so the manufacture is trying to achieve a compromise between performance and tread life.
The load index is the number on the tyre, just before the speed rating and denotes the maximum load capacity of the tyre when driven at maximum speed.

This scam by the insurers in not paying out if a lower rated tyre is fitted is an absolute disgrace. H rated tyres are fit for sustained speeds up to 130mph for goodness sake and perfectly capable for normal use at ordinary road speeds which are seldom above 80mph for any length of time. Insurers are getting to the point where anything that wasn't fitted to the car when it came from the factory is declared a "non-standard modification" and voids your insurance so they don't have to pay out. Until some-one takes them to court over it, which is unlikely since nobody can afford to, the situation unfotunately, is likely to get worse.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
This scam by the insurers in not paying out if a lower rated tyre is fitted is an absolute disgrace. H rated tyres are fit for sustained speeds up to 130mph for goodness sake and perfectly capable for normal use at ordinary road speeds which are seldom above 80mph for any length of time[/b]
It's not just the speed index, it's the load index i.e 88, 91 etc.

You will often find that higher rated tyres have higher load index's, and saab being hevier than some need the higher rated tyre to get the correct load index, rather than needing the speed index.

Pirelli spec:

at 5-10 km/h a tyre load index my be by 190% of max load, but at 140km/h the max load my only be 90%, reducing further as speed increases.

Andrew.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I do not agree with Toby, as I live 2 hours drive from Germany = no speedlimits! In Germany the police will impound your car if you driving on tyres with a lover rating than your car! Its actually an often seen reason for crashes when drivers comming from Sweden and Denmark are doing high speed driving in Germany as the dealers often sell the cars with low rated tyres around here!

Just as a remark, my uncle´s got an orginal 2,3 FPT, year 93, and he has on several occations recorded speeds higher than 165 MPH (on German roads) so has several members of the Swedish Saab Turboclub. So if you whant to be on the safe side, spend the extra $ then you newer will have to worry about this! Also I understand that several states in AU have a more liberate speedlimits!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Originally posted by Søren Hviid:
[qb]Just as a remark, my uncle´s got an orginal 2,3 FPT, year 93, and he has on several occations recorded speeds higher than 165 MPH (on German roads) [/qb][/b]
If you car can do 165mph, then you should have tyres that can.

According to the book (and the speedo) mine can only do 143mph. My Goodyear Eagle F1's are V rated which is 149mph. What's wrong with that.

If you knew you could go faster than the speed rating on your tyres, why would you risk it.
A tyre blowout at speeds in excess of 100mph would probably result in death anyway (even in a Saab)!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Dont get me wrong Toby, I am shure your tyres are good enough all I am saying is that you should at least have tyres matching the performance of your car! You newer know when you might have to use it!

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
If you knew you could go faster than the speed rating on your tyres, why would you risk it.  A tyre blowout at speeds in excess of 100mph would probably result in death anyway (even in a Saab)!  [/b]
Probably, ask the pop star that died in his 9000 carly, flat out and on the phone to his wife when a tyre went.....

Andrew

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Found the ref..

Cozy Powell of Sabbath/Brian May band etc. etc. died at the wheel of his 9K Carly.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah, he died going flat out on the motorway while on the phone to his missus. His last words were something along the lines.

"I'm going flat out, I better slow down before the engine starts to seize OH S***!!!!".

It was a blown tyre in the end.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hmmm. No drummer jokes - I'm one part time - but frankly it's his own silly fault for not wearing a seatbelt (see the link posed by toby).

For myself, a bass player and I had a scary blow out type accident at "70 mph" (ok, a wee bit more....) - off the barrier, ripped off a wheel, slid down the carriageway on 3 wheels, airbags, the lot. Walked away from it.

Lessons:

First, never skimp on the quality of rubber you fit. Never worth it. Second - always check condition and pressures esp. if you know you'll be doing a long distance high speed run. Third - wear the seatbelts. Fourth - you can't stop a blow out but if it's got to happen do it in a big swedish 9k. I did - walked away - and promptly bought another.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
By Mark R:
Second - always check condition and pressures esp. if you know you'll be doing a long distance high speed run.  [/b]
In my experience the vast majority of blow outs are caused by under inflation, rather than a puncture and sudden deflation. An under inflated tyre will flex too much, generate heat in the carcass of the tyre, and then fail catastrophically. So check your pressures al least once a week, especially in autumn as falling temperatures mean falling pressures.

Most manufacturers recommend higher pressures for sustained high speed use (> 100 mph), but as far as I can tell Saab does not, nor does Saab recommend raised pressures at the rear when fully loaded, which puzzles me slightly. Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Saab give (or used to) 5 different tyre pressure points depending on speed and loads.

i.e slow unloaded 30psi ish, >100 5 up and luggage, 45psi ish.. for 2 extremes.

Andrew

Normally they are on the rear cover of the user manual and sometimes on the rear door pillar.

Andrew

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.