Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2.3 stage 1 CSE standard 15 inch aero's with 195's fitted.

Can't afford bigger wheels, soon need 4 new tyres.

Do I take this opportunity to go wider than standard, or stay the same?

If wider, how "wider" and what wall size. (would like speedo in the same ball park!)

What are the advantages and disadvantages. (tramlining? etc.)

and WHICH TYRE
~ I want to cling to the Ceiling in silence and comfort for 100K miles

Seriously ....... allround grip is important, I will be keeping the suspension standard so sidewall stiffness is probably a good thing, roads around here are cr4p so noise is not an issue.

Dont do track days..... would like reasonable wear on the road though.

Alyn

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
There's a useful size calculator here on BillJ's site. I think 205/60 is the size for 15" wheels but if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me soon enough. Also this thread on the 9000 forum seems to have made a comeback

·
Registered
451 Posts
Bear in mind that this is for a C900, not a 9k.

When I bought mine, the previous owner had fitted a set of 195/65x15 budget tyres all round. Sure it gives a slightly comfier ride, but it also knocks the speedo out.

Two also needed replacing.
So I stuck a new set of Avon ZV1 195/60x15 on, and went up from H to V rated (the garage that fitted them for me ordered the H rated's in but they didn't arrive when they should have, had the V's in, and did me a deal on the price of the better ones.

The car is now a lot sharper handling, the stiffer side wall of the V's makes a difference, even though I haven't gone down to rubber band sidewall height, so I still maintain some comfort.

Maybe think about uprated rather than wider/lower profile rubber first, and check that you have the correct size fitted first before assuming you need to go wider/lower profile.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got a good deal on 205 60 15's Michelin Pilot primacy.

Tyresdirect2u? or something such £320 and some odd pence - they came and fitted at my place of work - £15 cheaper per tyre than Kwikfit.........and the bu**er of it was it was Kwikfit they subcontracted to to fit them

They have replaced the same tyres in 195/65.... turn in seems better - as you would expect.....noise no worse....ride quality ok.

Rear anti roll bar bushes next me thinks

Alyn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts