1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's Saab has just reached 130k. Its been regularly serviced and has had:

new front wheel bearings (Aug 2003)
head-gasket 4000 miles ago (nov 2003)
new front discs and pads, balljoints (May)
new dv and vacuum tube (last week)

all of which equates to some £1200+
mainly 'cos had work done by local service shop not done it myself due to lack of time...

We want to keep it for at least another year, so what pre-emptive work should I be considering over the summer or is this a case of good money after bad? Runs ok, bodywork is ok but untidy but everything works as it should, nothing dropping off...

Advice/thoughts?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks Dave_NI... this seems the most popular of all the Saab forums (fora?). Senior user on the TT forum tho...

Mike - tend to agree, but keep reading disturbing reports of timing gear failure at 125k+ (whats the warning signs?) so wondering what else I should be monitoring

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Hi ya..

My 1998 Anniversary has clocked 135k miles, and still runs like a watch with negligable Mobile 1 oil use per 8k interval. I don't recommend runnint the full 12k mile intervals on higher milage cars (of any kind).

Just make sure the car is properly serviced.

If it has missed a brake fluid (beware of vapour lock), radiator fluid or auto(?) gearbox fluid change, get them done asap.

You could get a 'qualified' garage to check condition of upper timming chain guid and tensioner, by removing rocker cover and inspecting. But usuall sign is a rattle which doesn't go away when engine warm.

Good news is, engines should clock 200k miles quite easily and auto gearboxes will do the same, but manual boxes usually not quite as much as an auto.

Recent Swedish government vehicle reliability survey puts FIVE versions of the Saab 9-5 at the top of reliability list!!!

Bearing in mind this was heavily based on the 9000, with similar engine, we can expect reasonable longevity.

All the best Saabing..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PaulD - doing about 8k a year and serviced each year. No idea about when brake fluid and auto fluid were changed (not in 4y we have had it AFAIK, but then not really taken that much notice, was a stop-gap car originally), but radiator fluid changed when head gasket was done...

You could get a 'qualified' garage to check condition of upper timming chain guid and tensioner, by removing rocker cover and inspecting. But usuall sign is a rattle which doesn't go away when engine warm[/b]
no obvious rattle although engine is 'noisy' but nothing immediately worrying... no bigend knock, some tappet noise (but no noisier than my TT's 1.8T after 25k!). Wish I'd had time to go look when the head was off... mnd you if I'd asked I would probably been told it needed doing anyway....

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by knackered9000:
[qb] No idea about when brake fluid and auto fluid were changed (not in 4y we have had it AFAIK, but then not really taken that much notice, was a stop-gap car originally),[/qb][/b]
Check your service records. It is recommended that you change the brake fluid at least once every two years.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been serviced last 3y by local independent so have no real knowledge of what they actually changed... AFAIK brake fluid wasn't listed on invoice (recall 6 spark plugs on last one tho
- got credited on that) and all services roughly same (ignoring extra jobs such as wheelbearings). Will get b/f & auto-box fluid (read up on that - what a palaver!) changed next service due Aug/Sept, but seriously, nothing I should think about?

Two other questions if i may:
1/ Where is good online spares place for UK?

2/ Is it worth getting one of these copied workshop CD sets off eBay (if so, from who)? I have Haynes manual but pretty poor on detail IMHO (I have Bentley CD for my TT, worth every penny)

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
few places

elkparts (bottom of the page)
Euro car parts
and german swedish and french car parts

they do not all do everything and the prices vary..

these cd's ..
these are obviously copied and I would not condone the purchase of these...

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Good news is, engines should clock 200k miles quite easily and auto gearboxes will do the same, but manual boxes usually not quite as much as an auto.[/b]
Yes engines will easily do 200k plus with the odd head gasket, DI unit and chain/guides every 100k or so. IMHO manual boxes are just as long lasting (the 900 maual box is weak) but auto boxes in the 2.3T are right on their design limit (engine is detuned for the auto). I'm guessing but I'd suggest ZF would design their box for 150k miles.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Originally posted by knackered9000:
[qb]Mike - tend to agree, but keep reading  disturbing reports of timing gear failure at 125k+ (whats the warning signs?) so wondering what else I should be monitoring [/qb][/b]
My old 9000i still had the original timing gear at 200,000 so I shouldn't worry too much about sweeping generalities!

Impossible to say what else should be checked - unfortunately, cars are totally unpredictable, like the fairer sex

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys,

think i'll just do regular checks, keep it tidy and fingers x'd. £130-odd + a weekend of pain to do timing chain doesnt sound worth the effort. Fortunately my wife doesn't thrash it (and i don't drive it that much
) so should be ok... might up the oil changes to since it does mainly <20mile trips in town, with a m/way burn once or twice/month, only ~8k pa

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.