Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Retired Administrator
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am looking for some advice on what to do next with my better half's car, the 12v socket did not work at all since she has had the car, removed the trims and reconnected the connector which must have been loose.

Now the socket has power as it should and the ciggy lighter works which is good for me but not her as she need the socket to charge a Sat Nav, when connecting the charger for the Tom Tom the green LED on the charger is lighting up but very faint and is not putting out enough voltage for the charger to actually work.

The Tom Tom charger is working fine and so is the Tom Tom I know this because it is mine lol.

·
Retired Administrator
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a cigarette light socket and has the lighter in the socket and this works believe it or not but as soon as a Tom Tom or such is plugged into the socket the green charging light is barely lit when it should be bright.

You think the earth maybe it? Would that explain why the lighter was able to operate ok though?

·
Premium Member
3,778 Posts
Few things,
is the plug long enough to reach comfortably and once in does it stay in position and not push out if not a tight fit?
clean the lighter socket internals with emery - make sure it is not live first! also clean the plug +pin

·
Retired Administrator
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you,

Emery, I have wire wool is that the same?

The plug fits tight in the socket no movement there.

Job for the weekend :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,778 Posts
Cool, emery = wet and dry. wire wool will do it but if a strand gets stuck it could short out.

it could be the plug is just sliding back a little once pushed in or is slightly short and not making good contact- have had this before

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I would use even a minor inconvenience, such as this, as my excuse to ditch the Clio and purchase either a nice solid reliable Ford Fiesta, or a tasty, unreliable, GM strangled Swedish motor :)

·
Retired Administrator
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HAHAHA yeah in the ideal world where money is growing on trees this would be sweet; sadly this is not the case and she is not fussed with her car and treats it like a toilet so to be perfectly honest as long as it works and she is happy job done lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts