Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

With my 9-5 currently standing at about 98500 miles, I am looking forward to hitting the 100K mark in the next few months - and with no major problems, still running smooth & accelerating beautifully ! Have a couple of friends who wouldn't touch a car with this mileage - oh, how little they truly understand !

Any tales of breaking that 100K mark ?

·
Registered
84 Posts
One of my 9-5s has done 126,000 miles and the other 97,000 miles. Both are going fine and have had a sump clean to check the sludge situation. I think the turbo wont last much longer on the 126k miles one.
Also on both, the indicator and wiper stalks aren't smooth and are very "clicky" and have a not of play. These seem to wear out at this age. However at 60ukp each side, they'll have to stay until they break.
Both also have the odd suspension knock now and will need some bushes replacing very soon.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Poor effort guys!

My 9-5 2.3LPT Estate is just coming up to 178k miles and has:-

Never had the sump dromped/cleaned, oils changed at saab 12k mile intervals
Still on Original Turbo
Still on Original Suspension

In fact since 100k miles, the only non-service items that have been replaced are 1 x exhaust back box, 1 x trailing arm bushes, 1 x battery and 1 x CPS

It drives as well now as it did at 100k miles and I'm certainly hoping to see the other side of 250k with it (obviously I'm touching alot of wood at this point!!!)

Mr Perceptive

·
Registered
337 Posts
I to am a member of this 100k club :D

All tho I have a MY 2001 9-3 TiD!

Pic to mark the occasion

Now done 128k miles
Oil changed once a year or at saab 12k mile intervals (fully synth)
Still on Original Turbo
Still on Original Suspension
Still on Original Exhaust

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Congratulations on finally running-in your engine trickyb :thumbsup:. Now you can really start to use it and have some fun :D :wink:.

Our classic 900 is at 111k and feels as good as new. Got a fair bit to go with the 9-5 though as it's only on 64k :(. No major problems with either.

[edit]
Wow, Kit-Kat, I hope that photo wasn't taken using a Gatso :wink:.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Already planning my 100K photo !

My 9-5 is also still on the original key parts - tho it missed the ECU recall, which I have just managed to sort out. Did get the garage to drop the sump when I first bought the car - and done 6-8K fully synth oil changes since then.

Anyone else want to contribute ? How about longest original turbo ?! Perceptive's 178k will be hard to beat, I reckon !

·
Registered
136 Posts
Great idea for a thread, should give some positive feedback.
MY 2001 Griffin is on 136,000 miles, still on original turbo.
Replaced oil cooler and starter motor just below 100,000 miles, DI cassettes and CPS since then.
Replaced back box on exhaust around 125,000 miles and suspension bushes around 130,000 miles.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a picture of a previous car at 100k and 100mph (obviously taken on a private test track!)

100k obviously not as cool as

Mr Perceptive

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fantastic ! And I forgot to say my 9-5 is MY98 so its actually pretty low mileage for its age !

I hope we can keep this thread going - I think a lot of potential Saab owners come onto this forum & could be put-off by all the talk of problems (naturally the main content of such a forum and, don't get me wrong, a fantastic resource which has really helped me out !)

So, any more tales of mega-mileages, original parts still going, etc. ?

·
Registered
69 Posts
126000 miles service due next month (1998 2.0 SE auto).

Original exhaust, suspension and turbo.

Has developed a road rumble lately but think its either tyre noise or rear suspension bush and recently my electric window has become disengaged.

Apart from that drives like a dream, keep looking for a new car but when it comes to it just can't find a reason to get rid of the one I've got!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Me too Pezza. I've idly looked at some alternatives - but there is no reason to change & plenty of reasons to stick with my 9-5. I sometimes wish it was a little quicker through 1st & 2nd gears, but once it's up to a good speed there is absolutely nothing to beat it.

The mileage is not a worry...as superswede said, it's just run-in !

·
Registered
138 Posts
Fantastic ! And I forgot to say my 9-5 is MY98 so its actually pretty low mileage for its age !

I hope we can keep this thread going - I think a lot of potential Saab owners come onto this forum & could be put-off by all the talk of problems (naturally the main content of such a forum and, don't get me wrong, a fantastic resource which has really helped me out !)

So, any more tales of mega-mileages, original parts still going, etc. ?[/b]

Completely agree with your positive comments here tricky.I have only just bought my 9-5 Aero with 103k but its still on original turbo etc and drives beautifully.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good to read all positive comments1
Mine done 126 000 miles, still with original turbo, running well, just exhaust changed in last service!!
There is no point for me to change car when this is still in very good conditions and would go for more and more years to come! :D
best regards,
Darius

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Here's one of my old ones. scrapped it 2 years ago, but this was taken may 26rh 1998

Original turbo and gearbox right to the end, even with apc tweaks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
My old Aero estate, 2000 X-reg, did 130K in the first 3 years before I got it. I took it to 180K before having a brush with a dog and a tree. It was an insurance write off 2 years ago but was put back on the road, I know as I get the speeding/parking tickets, so must of easily broken 200K by now.

·
Registered
184 Posts
at about 103000 miles my 2.0lpt blew its engine in particular style on the M1. Completely wrecked the motor. the heart transplant came from a 128000 mile 2.3LPT. seems to be going fine...

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
When my MY99 lpt came up to 100,000 last year we were on holiday in France. When I saw that the moment was imminent I nipped out to drive along a deserted country road so that I could watch the digits change and savour the moment, quietly, man to car. My family thought that was 'sad' behaviour, for some reason...

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Sad behaviour?? Never. You have to take your camera with you to be sad! :)

On the four occasions I've taken a car over 100k, I've only been "sad" the once!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Sad behaviour?? Never. You have to take your camera with you to be sad! :)
On the four occasions I've taken a car over 100k, I've only been "sad" the once!![/b]
I wanted to be sad when my 9k went over 200,000 last month but I had to drive more miles to reach the camera than to reach 200,000!

1 - 20 of 217 Posts