Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, ive been googling a bit to find that tesco's are now doing 99 ron petrol and shortly shell maybe releasing their 100 ron petrol in the uk. Unfortunetly not near me do you guys reckon it would be worth the drive to put some of this loverly juice in my baby? your opinions?

link here http://www.britishinformation.com/chatro...TMyI3Bvc3Q3MTMy

my saab so far,

saab 9-5 2.3lpt (1998 177k)
eibach pro springs and dampers
cat back exhaust
abotts modified gt17 turbo
bsr stage 1 ppc (i know i need my ecu remapped again)

plans uprate brakes
sports cat
maybe air filter (missus would hate the noise)
*suggestions here please *

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think we pay enough for fuel as it is using 95 unleaded, i dont think it will be worth the extra cash you need to pay for the higher octane fuel.
The only time i would consider it, is if i was going to the track/rolling road.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by jason oc:
[qb]Hi all, ive been googling a bit to find that tesco's are now doing 99 ron petrol and shortly shell maybe releasing their 100 ron petrol in the uk.  [/qb][/b]
There's nothing about th 100RON stuff coming to the UK on the Shell UK website.

I wonder why in the rest of the world the Shell high-octane fuel is called V-Power but hee in the UK they call it Optimax, why not called it V-Power as well...
V-Power fuel octane ratings vary depending on which counrty it's sold. The octane rating in the US is 90-93 for V-Power (equivilent to 95-97 in the UK/Europe) and the 100RON appears to be available in the Czech Republic and Germany already from what I can gather from the Shell.com pages.

The difference is quite noticable when I run my Aero on Optimax compared to even other 97RON fuel's. Not only smoother but the mpg on the SID show a noticable extra 1 mpg when running Optimax, compared to other 97RON fuel.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Horses for courses.

I have run a dozen tank fulls of V-Power 100 octane in My Aero, and while it is not cheap, once your car is adapted to this stuff, and the ECU is used to Autobahn type throttle application, your car loves it and you might be surprised how strong it pulls thru the gears.
Buy it if your car can make use of it, AND you will get a chance to spend some time on full boost.

For driving in London traffic jams I have been caught using Sainsbury's 95, bought w/ coupon to make it even cheaper. All it has to do is keep the car idling...

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Well i have run my v6t on Tescos 99 Ron this week- 3 tankfulls in 3 days
Glad my work pays me 40p a mile, as i have spent £165 in petrol in the last 8 days.

32mpg average over two tanks/920 miles is excellent for a high speed cruise with 3 people on board.
Could not say this is any better/worse than Optimax, but now Tescos offer 5p litre off fuel when you spend £50 in store, it means that it is 78.9p litre for the 99Ron goodstuff

Lets hope the trial continues for a while

PS would not normally expect over 30mpg on 95 ron fuel.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Here the lowest grade is 87 octane, and at most stations the highest you can get is 91 octane. Ther's one company <Sunoco> sells ultra 94 octane and that's the highest I've seen around here.... I have not been able to narrow down my rough idle problem (cold start only) but I have noticed that with 94 it starts immediately on the turn of the key and does not idle rough at all , it's almost a perfect idle. When I go back to 87 (when gas prices go up), The rough idle comes back and the engine isn't as smooth.

1992 C900 NA

With a tank of 87, will get me 400km's (maybe 425) at the most...

With a tank of 91, will get me 475-500km's

A tank of 94, inconclusive because I have not finnished this tank yett and it's the first time I will actualy be gauging the consumption with it

This saab is octane thirsty!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
What i find wierd is that the quality of fuel in the USA is far inferior to our lowest grade which is 95 octane, especially for a Nation that has loads of oil, i know you pay less, but the fuel quality is not so hot?????

·
Registered
451 Posts
My thoughts exactly..... I'm thinking it's because our emissions regulations are not as tight as the ones in europe... And the refineries wiould have to shell out a heafty investment?? (Don't know)...

I have a feeling that as the next decade moves along and that emissions get tighter, they may implement higher octane fuels after they start moving closser to 85% ethanol blends due to depleting oil suply....

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would have thought that the USA would have been leaps and bounds ahead of europe with most things, it goes to prove that emissions in the USA need a serious shake up, as Global warming is a serious threat to us all. (sorry to sound like a Greenpeace fanatic, but needs to be on the Government agenda for the good of us all)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Set a few facts straight; the emissions from cars and refineries are much tougher in USA, and that helps to explain the lower octane fuel. Look at cat converters; required in 1975 in USA, 1992 in UK. Or examine the fuel nozzle at the pump; USA has has anti-fume spreading devices for 10 years, just now appearing in Europe.

Other part is USA traditionally uses larger, less stressed engines, and they require less octane. And fuel is MUCH less expensice, like 20% of what Britain pays.

Trust me, you want cheap price and lower octance.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Also most important difference; octane measured in different way (RON in USA, I think MON in UK).

In USA 93 octane equals 97 here in UK. Yes the 87 stuff in USA is low octane, but it works good in a Buick Century, and there is 5m of them...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Surely if you drive an average car for the uk, say a ford focus or a citroen saxo and the like, a 4,5,OR6 liter engine is going to be far dirtier than the average car in the UK? i know the UK will be a far more stressed engine but i am sure less polution?
By the way i dont want to start an arguement!!!!

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by dubburke:
[qb]Surely if you drive an average car for the uk, say a ford focus or a citroen saxo and the like, a 4,5,OR6 liter engine is going to be far dirtier than the average car in the UK? i know the UK will be a far more stressed engine but i am sure less polution?
[/qb][/b]
I think you've missed the point Aerohead was trying to make, that, the larger capacity low stressed and not that efficient engines in the US only require that lower grade fuel, rather than the higher grade fuel required by a lot of more highly tuned highly but more efficent european engines.
It's horses for courses......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts