Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
My temperature gauge is quite erratic and it takes an age to warm up, thinking of changing the thermostat?
I bought a replacement to fit but could do with some advice beofre i atempt the change!

What coolant should i use to top up once i refit the thermostat? Thinking of not doing a complete coolant change as this is due to be done at the next service when i get the timing belt + water pump changed.
The hoses seem to have 'circlip plier' type hose clamps rather than jubillee clips (with screws). Has anyone had any issue when refitting these? Especially concerned about the small one coming from the thermostat (approx. 12mm) as this looks to me like i probably should bank on replacing with a standard jubilee clip?

Thanks for any help!
Mark

·
Registered
205 Posts
I replaced mine myself (with a second-hand part - incidentally I think that's now packed up again :( ) and it was a fiddly job.

Not a lot of room and the bolts require finger searching to find, pipes tight as anything to remove, very short pipes (you have to almost fit the thing before you can put them on), and as you've spotted, irritating pipe clips. I couldn't get them back together again and had to replace them with jubilee clips. I guess they don't use jubilee clips as they are probably more expensive and on a production line, take longer to affix.

Coolant wise, I went down to my local dealer and bought some GM Premix for £16 for 5l. The coolant system is around 7.5l and I wish I bought another, so I could do a coolant flush while I was at it. At the bottom of the radiator on the drivers side, there is a tap to drain the coolant out. You can use a hose pipe or similar on the end to drain it into a container. I drained some of the system into two clean milk bottles, in-case I lost more than I had to replace. I only ended up using about 3-4l of the Premix anyway.

Once you fill the system up, you'll need to open the black stopper on the front metal cooling system pipe to let the air out.

You could not bother draining the system if your prepared to get a bit wet and have coolant on your driveway/garage/etc.

Incidentally, I'm probably going to get a garage to replace it with a new unit this time. Too much fiddling to do again!

·
Administrator
5,048 Posts
you'll need to open the black stopper on the front metal cooling system pipe to let the air out.[/b]
i hope your not referring to the 2 alloy pipes inbetween the slam panel & air filter top area..

they to me sound like the air con pipes & you've released some refridgerant out..

·
Registered
205 Posts
i hope your not referring to the 2 alloy pipes inbetween the slam panel & air filter top area..

they to me sound like the air con pipes & you've released some refridgerant out..[/b]

The aircon filling ports are valve stems, the water pipe is simply a stopper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts