Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm bored of car now, is there any upgrades I can do to boost the performance? Both speed and fuel?

·
Premium Member
3,778 Posts
you are going to be working the turbo hard to get more performance so fuel economy will not improve. the block engine is general the same as the 210bhp areo except for the turbo, injectors and cams and of course the map.

they will map to around 200-220bhp. you will be at the limits of your intake system - turbo and injectors. if you car has miles on it - 100k+ for arguments sake tuning could make it unreliable or shorten the life of the turbo and drivetrian due to additional strain on worn components.

there is a guy in Nottingham - noobtune who will tune it for around £100.00 and do a good job. Hirsch and Maptun will be 3/4x as much.

Get it serviced before you have it mapped, new fluids and filters.

Yes you do need to inform your insurance company.
you should look to uprate brakes, tyres and suspension too. quick cars need to handle and stop, its not all about power. :)

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
this is just out of interest when mapping a car would someone like noobtune, just be able to map the 1.8t to be the same as 2.0t i.e 175bhp quite easily therefore you do get extra performance but feel quite safe in knowing that the tune is only doing the same as a standard saab map as that is the only difference between the 1.8t and 2.0t

or do you have to have it mapped to the higher level that you run the risk of other parts failing?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Karl will map to whichever bhp/nm figures you like. Most will go for the 220/360 option but make sure all is running well beforehand as any map will show up any weaknesses.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
cool, i wasnt sure how flexible the maps actually were (i know the hirsch and maptun ones etc are static so you get what you get but they are tested well on saabs)

like everything you do have to weigh up the costs of doing things against the actual gain and this is obviously an individual decision on your situation

i have driven both the 1.8t and 2.0t and yes the 2.0t did feel a tiny bit faster but is it really worth paying £100 plus insurance increase ( comparethemarket.com was quoting an increase of around £600 so total cost would be £700 to make the 1.8t feel like the 2.0t) unless i could find an insurance company that was friendly towards me

but if you factor in the cost difference of selling a 1.8t and buying a 2.0t considering the narrow market saabs are in it probably is worth going down the tuning route rather than changing the car if your sure you have a decent standard of a car to start with

i dont exactly have the money hiding away to do something like this at the moment so always interested in the options for a future decision, but probably never actually do anything and just hope to change to a higher powered car when the times right lol

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
TBH insurance is all finger in the wind. I can never understand how they set their prices. However, I think the difference between 1.8t and 2.0t is about 4 groups. Ins group of Linear SE is less than Vector too but Linear SE can come with full leather, upgrade alloys etc so can look like a Vector anyway!

This is a good site for all ins groups but you'll go bog eyed looking at all the stats. http://www.carinsurancegroups.co.uk/ Funnily enough the Turbo Edition cars are a lower group than the Vector but have full lthr, 17 inch alloys etc etc.
Cheers
Al

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
i came from a 2008 2.0t Vector sport saloon to a 2009 1.8t Linear convertible

(they are the same insurance group but the convertible is actually slightly cheaper)

but yes as you say the only difference between them are 1) engine map, 2) vector has silver trims linear has black 3) vector has 17" wheels and linear has 16" 4) Front Fog Lights thats it (apart from the obvious ones a saloon and the other is the convertible lol)

for the semi enthusiasts you can actually take a 1.8t Linear into a 2.0t Vector very very easily with aftermarket parts but i know this is kind of moving away from the original topic as it was just aimed at performance rather than trim level

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Well the OP now has loads of info now lol. I'm now going to try to figure out how to get a pic of mine as you have in your sig :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have just spent a week with a 1.8t and it doesn't feel turbo charged at all. Did they not advertise it as a 'mild turbo'? Is this just because it runs a very mild map but has a decent turbo laying semi-dormant?

If you can squeeze an extra 25-30 bhp out with a remap I say go for it. It made a big difference on on Tid 150, which tbh felt faster than the 1.8t even when it was stock.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
saab can actually squeeze around an extra 50 - 60bhp out of a remap because the 1.8t is actually a 2000cc engine where as the 1.8i is a 1800cc, they only named it 1.8t due to its power rating

·
Premium Member
3,778 Posts
1.8t and 2.0 - The engine is the same, the b204 however the turbo is smaller, the injectors are smaller and subsequently max out earlier which is why the power rating is quite a bit lower, not just the bhp but the torque is a fair bit less.

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
if i had a 1.8t for £100 i would be visiting noobtune:) so go on si you know you want to lol

at first i thought the ic was smaller on the 1.8t but it is not so theres only 2 differencies between them...........the map and the go faster stripes mean turbo gauge:D

·
Administrator
5,048 Posts
not forgetting the 1.8t & 2.0t has a garrett turbo and the 2.0T has the mitsi td-04 turbo

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
exactly, so saab felt the need to make quite a few changes for the 2.0T (Aero) for it to safely handle 210 bhp, would you really want to be driving the 1.8t without the extra modifications at close to that power rating?

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
still dont figure why they would call a 2l a 1.8 :crazy:

taking out of the equasion the 210bhp 2.0T here wouldnt it of been better to have called them 2.0l lpt or hpt and defined the flagship as they do hot

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
from an IT point of view this was common practice many years ago with processor speeds that AMD used to quote their power ratings instead of their actual speeds so i assume this is something similar

i always use it on the same lines of a BMW 318 has a similar power to the 1.8t which incidently also uses a 2 litre engine lol

but more than likely it was just a marketing ploy to attract the people who were always dead against a "powerful 2 litre" they wanted something less so would accept a 1.8 but to make it simpler and cheaper for GM they only used the 1 style of engine

which to me does make sense, just unsure why they didnt just use the 2 litre engine for the 1.8i aswell although i get the feeling the 1.8i car never really sold much (i think i only know of one person on here that has one)

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
imagine telling your mates down the pub you have a 2.0t when theres a badge on the back saying 1.8t :eek:

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
i have to keep on telling them, and then proving it by using the mycarcheck app on my phone with my reg to prove that its a 2 litre lol

·
Premium Member
3,778 Posts
"Exactly"

Si, suggest you go look up what these components do and how they do it to understand better. the 1.8t is an 'economy' variant although not massively economical due to the weight of the car. Marketting as much as anything plays a part in the outputs of the engine to make the more powerful variants appeal to those that want power and performance over economy and saving the planet along with a lot of other factors. the 1.8 is in a lower emissions category so lower in taxes...this can make a bigger/lesser difference in different parts of the world but there are all sorts of factors that affect this.

the B207 engine is is well engineered and relatively under-stressed in std form which is a good thing as it means it should last if looked after. However, the differences between the two variants (3 in total incl the 175 bhp engine which shares the turbo of the 210bhp) means the 1.8t engine ancillaries such as the turbo will be put under considerable stress (in terms of generating boost/compressing air volume) to run the higher outputs and match the output of the 210bhp 'R' variant. The turbo is smaller as are the injectors - the turbo will be close running flat out at 210/220 where as the turbo on the

Look at it this way

the 1.8t will make 220 which is a 'safe' max output for it. without any other mods such as bigger turbo injectors, etc
the 2.0 210bhp will make 260/280bhp as a safe max output. without further mods
you will not get the 1.8t to 260bhp running the std turbo or injectors as they cannot make that power, if you pushed them beyond their safe max they will go 'pop' shortly afterwards and besides they cannot flow enough and produce enough boost or volume.

a larger compressor (turbo) can compress more air volume and quicker that a smaller turbo thus a bigger charge enters the engine and more heat and energy produced as a result giving more power.

Uprating the 1.8 variant to the 210bhp spec will require a bigger turbo, different cams ( i am sure the cams are different) bigger injectors + a remap cost around £1,000 to do properly. Cheaper to buy an aero with the bigger engine, beefed up drivetrain, brakes, etc??? the engine in this uprated from will be capable of more pwer 260/280 without further physical/mechanical mods - other than remapping.

the 1.8 is not set up the same way to handle the power with smaller clutches softer suspension and smaller brakes, etc all these need addressing to to make best use of the extra power and get it transferred to the road in the best way. Not sure about the gearing/final drivve, this may well be different

1 - 20 of 44 Posts