Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

Im going to have a bit of fun with my 9000. I am going to take it santa pod. Bless my poor old saab!

What i need to know is the predicted 1/4 mile terminal speed of the car. Santa pod state that if i expect greater than 100mph terminal speed i need to have a crash helmet. I havnt got a crash helmet. With this in mind, am i likely to need one?

Its a standard 200bhp 9000CS 2.3T.

According to a non saab website a standard car should do the 1/4 in 15.2s? do you agree with this?

Cheers

Brett

PS anyone else going for a laugh? Its the night of Saturday 19th Feb.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi 9K

you definitely should get yourself this helmet. and for two reasons at least: one - you will look the part at the races, two - the helmet's visor will give you an even further feeling of piloting you 9K rather than simply driving it. cause you are not going there to have a mere drive are you? my 14 yrs old 9K supports you all the way. kick'em

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ylee: thanks mate. its completely standard so not expecting anything impressive like your time. My last 9000, with 255bhp and 320lb/ft would have been interesting though. PS Im sure ive chatted with you in another forum!

chimaera: thanks mate. I like your reasoning for a crash helmet. Unfortunately, the santa pod trip is a one off. I don't normally like putting the car through stuff like this, it is 14 years old after all.

Aeropliot: So High 80s would be good. I would be a complete newbie for the 1/4 mile thing, so I am interested as to what the car could do, I will definately be the weakest link....goodbye.

Thanks guys for the replies. I wil post any times that i get. good or bad. so no p**s taking please

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Car & Driver had the fpt 200bhp at [email protected], [email protected] and the Aero with 225bhp at [email protected], Autocar and Motor have the 9000 Carlsson with 204bhp at [email protected], the fpt 2.3 with tcs as 15.5 @92, if you ever get the chance of a copy of the Transport Source Book with all the old road tests on the 9000 by Tevor Alder take it as it is a mine of information and a great read.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Microcat.

Thanks mate.
I would definately like a read of that.

I am not expecting anything close to a 15.2 and 92mph as this will be limited by the fact that it will be my first ever run. But im sure it will be good fun anyway. I will only do 1 or 2 runs anyway as I don't want to damage the old girl.
Cheers

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For those who are interested:

The results of my RWYB at santa pod are as follows:

Best time: 16.181s
Best Reaction: 0.135s
Best TV: 89.82 mph

I know that I got too much wheelspin, so I am to blame for a part of the poor time but I have to admit I was expecting a little better than this.
This time was on standard unleaded and budget tyres.
Times got worse throughout the day.

I have vid clips and pix, but nothing worth posting.

Quite a fun day though.
On one of my runs there was a chap in a Fiat Coupe 20V turbo. Time: 14.741.
It was nice to see how it should have been done.

Even a Rover beat me on one run....sorry to let the side down!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.