·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've finally narrowed my choices down to
volvo v70 R (wagon)
audi s6 avant wagon
saab 9-5 aero wagon
what im really looking for is an undercover pimp. a bigger pimp than the bmw, benz, and others that "flash" their *** and feed off of people's looks of amazement. these people put chrome whereever they can, blast their music with the windows down as loud as possible, and require attention for their low performance, all show no go vehicles. what i want is something that not too many americans have or know about, but that will step up to the biggest dogs in town. id love to see some bmws benz porche ferrari pull up next to me and either get eaten up, or break up a huge sweat when they see the undercover pimp with a station wagon give em a ride for their money. i will not replace any exterior lights, or do any kind of body kit or spoiler work. all i'll do for exterior is get 19" inch non-chrome rims, and limo tint my windows. comfort is a big part of it too, i already know my stuff for car audio, so that is taken care of. the undercover aspect of te car is the biggest deal for me.
i test drove the saab, and after giving it some thought, i believe i have decided to go for it, the 9-5 aero. i will be purchasing it around august, and i will immediately invest 10-20 thousand into it. im looking at
http://www.genuinesaab.com/tuning/pu/PU422.htm
at the "X" ofcourse, for the performance. once ive found my performance products, though, where will i get them professionally installed? will the saab dealership technicians have the know-how to professionally and flawlessly upgrade the stock to a 324hp/351 torque rocket?
would speedparts be the best way to go? is there an even better alternative? i will really appreciate all of the advice that you guys are willing to give. i will definately post pics once this project is completed!
thank you, undercover saab pimps 8)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the welcome.
i just spoke to the only US authorized (according to him) speedparts dealer in missouri, and he advised me not to go with the stage 3 (http://www.genuinesaab.com/tuning/pu/PU422.htm)
stage 2 is his highest recommendation for an AUTOMATIC transmission. i do not want to go with a manual on this car. i want a balance between performance, luxury, and convenience.. therefore automatic. he said the auto would have problems handling the torque. he also mentioned that problems would most likely be down the line, "after about 50,000 miles." is this right? am i that much more restricted with an automatic, or is it his product thats unstable? he also downplayed hirsch as being too expensive to be competitive, that they are like the dinan of bmw. their prices are ridiculously high, and the performance is not cost efficient. if my options are between spending a maximum of $2210 for a stage 2 and having that as my performance cap, i would rather spend a little more, but get a little more as well. i am assuming that since hirsh costs more, it is better....
help!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
could that mean the end of my search for upgrades? a simple 305 hirsch package to seal the deal? was it that easy?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Yes - automatic trans is limiting your options. If you want to go all out, I'd urge you to reconsider and at least drive the manual version before deciding. With so much torque from well under 2,000 rpm it's not like you need to shift much if you don't want to...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
manual is pretty much out of the question for me at this point. manual is quite a compromise of comfort and luxury for an added boost. the trade off is between accelerating somewhat faster and being somewhat more comfortable. i choose more comfort with as much power as i can get, but still stay comfortable....
also, i just talked to 5 different Saab dealerships and each of the salespersons was bewildered when i mentioned Hirsch performance upgrades. they had absolutely no clue that such a thing existed and claimed i was the first to ever inquire about it. i then explained them how to navigate through the saab website and find the news link... did i just coincidentally get the mentally handicapped salesmen, or is hirsch not available in US yet? must do more research...

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Welcome to Saabscene Comrade Misha

Think Leon's 9-5 Auto is about 270BHP, though not sure of any 300BHP+ Auto's. Maptun may be worth a look too.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Limit of Stage 2 Speedparts for Aero auto's....
Have to say not entirely surprised, hasn't the auto box got a serviceability torque limit of 400Nm....?? Probably why he quoted 50K miles before the auto box started giving problems.
I suppose it's something I'll have to put up with when I go the 9-5 Aero auto route in a year or so....

Wasn't Leon's 9-5 a shade under 250 gee-gees on the dyno...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey thanks for the maptune info! i called james and he seems like a very unbiased, objective knowledgeable saab enthusiast. i also called hirsh in germany, i was told that hirsh needs to do the modifications for the american market to meet the epa standards, so their kits cannot be bought separate from factory built 9-5s. looks like if i want one of those early, i will have to try and import it from europe... now that would be hot, but im not sure how much of a headache and cost it would be to bring a european car to the states. i think that would be my best bet right now in terms of speed and reliability.
the fact that i want it in automatic is really creating a barrier for me because of the excess stress on the transmission... it seems like hirsch is the best option for me.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Welcome on board. Looks like yuo are doing the riht thing and going with the Aero. As for tuning ive driven a 285 bhp Hirsch performance sedan.(after market fitted the different hirsch parts) It's a damn good drive.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I seem to remember seeing somewhere (??) that Hirsch won't recommend their Stage 2 (305hp) option with the auto transmission, only the Stage 1 (280hp..?)....

Still think Speedparts or Maptun are the best options, with a few Abbott mods thrown in for good measure.....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if indeed you are right, and stage 1 (280hp) is the highest hirsch is recommending for an auto 9-5 aero... then an auto 300hp volvo v70 R seems to have a lot more potential for me and my cause... i will not settle for 280. at that level, i will be in danger of having regular souped up cars zoom by. i wont even be the undercover sleeper that i intend to be. if i can get the saab above 300 horse safely, i will do so gladly. i even considered purchasing one in europe and shipping it to america, but the taxes are quite huge and defeat the purpose. if i cannot find a the right combination of aftermarket parts to make the 9-5 into a rocket, the volvo really becomes my better option.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
also, with a huge amount of hp and torque, traction becomes an issue. since the saab is a front wheel drive, the widest rim and tire i can put up front is 8.5", possibly 9" unlike rear wheel drive, you can get rims as wide as 13" if the car allows it. it really seems like an auto saab is limited to being a medium-performance car. i hope there is information to prove otherwise, because i still like the saab a lot. it is the best representation of an undercover pimp, but if it cannot meet my standards, i will have no choice...

·
Registered
348 Posts
... plus the V70R has all-wheel drive and the four-c-suspension system :) I´m a total Saab Freak, but in the "above 300 hp Wagon League", I would go for the Volvo. But keep in mind: It has only 400 Nm, and The Volvo S/V/C 70 are the sorry leaders of the latest ADAC breakdown report...

Yours,

Philip

P.S. And think about that Audi RS6 Wagon. It pumps out 450 hp!

·
Registered
661 Posts
The Volvo 5 pot engine is only safe to 1 bar boost with stock Con rods - anymore and they will bend
this will limit you to 300'ish bhp without internal modification,
Something to think about.

Pete.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I think Comrade Misha is not understanding what Saab performance is all about with this fixation about 300hp.......it's TORQUE not hp that's sets a Saab apart....
So, perhaps you will be better off with the Olvov then...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you are right, i do have a fixation in having an undercover pimp. not an undercover half-pimp, or pimp-in-training, but a full undercover sleeper pimp. i do have a fixation in getting a ridiculous amount of horsepower, as well as torque. torque, as well as excellent undercover (especially on the west coast), sets saabs apart, but i dont want just an above average amount of engine power.. i want the big deal, and that is all im trying to figure out how to do. i am not as knowedgeable about car performance as many of you.. but i can say that i know exactly what i want the car to end up being. i just hope to find the right setup in aftermarket (or hirsch) performance parts in getting me to where i want to be.

is it realistic to even get an auto saab up to a ridiculous amount of engine power?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts