Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Saab 9-3 2.0t
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i have a 03 saab 9-3 and i like going for spirited drives in the mountains at least once every two weeks. Last time i went i drove it hard for like 20 minutes then i started hearing a knocking sound coming from the engine so i stopped to check, turned off the engine, and waited 2 minutes then i turned on the car again and the sound was mostly gone. I drove it really easy for about 2 miles and the knocking sound was completely gone.
This has happened twice but it never makes the knocking sound any other time, only after driving hard for more than 15 minutes or so.
I've driven about 150 miles since then and all seems normal.
Anybody have any idea? Should i be worried?
Thx in advance :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Engine “knocking” can be lots of things, all not good if ignored. Easy case is engine misfire due to fuel or other rather minor issue with plugs, coils or fuel. Next step is misfire due to ECU or etc. Final level is big nasty issue with oil pressure, mechanical and accessory issues etc that can lead to engine failure if not addressed quickly.

so not to be a pain but you should do a little more diag to understand the cause. Any lights or stored engine codes would be first place to start. Then a little more specific info on the noise. Classic engine misfire is a light knocking while oil issues or other belt, pully etc noises are more dramatic. Sounds like isolated to engine vs suspension etc.

but yes don’t ignore what your car is trying to warn you about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok so i have a 03 saab 9-3 and i like going for spirited drives in the mountains at least once every two weeks. Last time i went i drove it hard for like 20 minutes then i started hearing a knocking sound coming from the engine so i stopped to check, turned off the engine, and waited 2 minutes then i turned on the car again and the sound was mostly gone. I drove it really easy for about 2 miles and the knocking sound was completely gone.
This has happened twice but it never makes the knocking sound any other time, only after driving hard for more than 15 minutes or so.
I've driven about 150 miles since then and all seems normal.
Anybody have any idea? Should i be worried?
Thx in advance :)
Check your drive shafts that connects to the transmission. 2nd motor n transmission mounts

1 - 3 of 3 Posts