Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having decided take the plunge and get a maptun stage 1 for my 2001 93 lpt, I am turning my attention towards the chassis. I had initially decided to go for a steering rack clamp and some poly track control arm outer bushes. However I have now received some advice saying that I really should get the rear anti roll bar as well. My problem is that my budget won’t stretch to all three so which should I choose. Pretty sure the rack clamp is top of the list, but if I got the roll bar and no poly bushes would this be a mistake??? Any advice would be gratefully received.

·
Registered
494 Posts
as i drive a different car, my information may not pertain to your car necessarily but...

i understand that the front roll bar will do more to reduce the front end dive that can occur during hard braking, I.E suspension compression. the 'rolling' forces that you are looking to counteract are more affected by the rear ARB. i believe that an upgrade of the rear ARB would certainly do more to keep the car level during hard cornering.

i have heard that poly bushes on the ARB's can cause them to act and feel like an oversized replacement. rear ARB and bushes, along with front control arm outer bushes i think would certainly upgrade your cars handling. i hear that also replacing the front ARB bushes with poly can cause an 'uncomfortable' ride.

·
Registered
98 Posts
A similar product also exists at Abbott Racing and I wonder if it is the same thing (antiroll/sway bar kit for 9-5). Any comments? I asked Abbott but have not received a reply yet.

I also find the Front Strut/Upright Brace Brackets upgrade interesting. I am not sure if this is required for a 2001 Aero. Can anyone tell from the explanations or by experience?
http://www.abbottracing.com/2003/tuning/9-..._steer_resp.htm

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
In very rough terms...

Uprading any ARB bushes or indeed ARB will reduce the tendency to roll.

Upgrading the front bushes improves steering response and handling.

Upgrading the rear bushes reduces the tendency to oversteer and improves turn in and lines through corners.

Making the rear ARB stiffer significantly reduces the tendency to understeer, and can even lead to oversteer.

Making the front ARB stiffer significantly reduces body roll, but will increase the tendency to understeer.

I would go for the steering clamp and rear ARB bushes as a minimum to cope with the power upgrade

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree with mark having just fitted an mp clamp from elk parts on my 99 9-3T.
,amazing improvment start with the clamp and take it from there

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice. Think I am going for the clamp/brace and the rear anti roll bar. I don't drive like a lunatic so wouldn't expect the possible oversteer to be a problem and like the idea of reduced understeer and less body roll.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I would suggest that you to fit the clamp/brace first and drive the car for a while, before considering the ARB. I have so far held out from fitting the ARB, since i haven't yet ran into a situation where my driving style needed it. Same goes for the LSD. But perhaps I am not going fast enough around corners

·
Registered
563 Posts
The anti-roll bar was one of the best upgrades I did last year. It's an affordable way to improve handling. Expected just a bit less bodyroll, but I found out that turn in had improved beyond expectations as well. Very good value for the money

The thought of a less comfortable ride put me off buying poly. Most front suspension bushings have been replaced with fresh OEM rubber bushings. In this case my expectations were too high. I hardly noticed a difference , even though the old ones were obviously worn. Maybe I should have bought poly

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Anyone knows how poly bushings at pivot points (as opposed to compression points; i.e. wishbone/panhard rod bushings versus shock mount bushes) affect suspension harshness? Obviously, I would like the more precise steering charcteristics offered by uprated wishbone bushings, but OTOH the front end on my c900 is stiff enough as it is, and I don't want it moving around on less than perfect roads all the time, which would make the thing less easy to point (oh, and it's like 4-5 hours workshop time to replace upper and lower wishbone bushings on a c900, so they'd better be good)...

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Thinking about this logically...

If any points were "pure" pivot points then the best thing would be to have rigid fixings.

However they're obviously not or they wouldn't have rubber mountings.

So, I think it's inevitable that replacing any rubber bush with a stiffer poly one will increase NVH. The question is by how much.

When I recently went to 18" wheels on my 9k, the NVH was unbearable. I swapped the front ARB bushes and steering drop bushes to rubber, and lost most of the harshness. I wonder which component had the greatest effect? I suspect it was the drop link bushes as they directly transmit road noise, but that's difficult to confirm.

Looks like you might be the guinea pig on this one Eric...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts