Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having had the car for 4 years, and only just got a stop watch I decided to check some times. The first I've tried was 0-60, which came in at about 7.4 seconds. Do you guys think this is about right?

2.3t, 1991, Auto, 248bhp running on LPG

Keith

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you run at 50mph in 4th with the auto, you should be able to use the kickdown to third and start the watch at the same time. I will try this over the weekend if I can find a spot of straight road clear of the local "revenue enhancement forces"!!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I think you'll find that 50-70 increments and similar are measured with the vehicle 'passing through' this band accelerating already rather than starting to accelerate at the moment the clock is started.
Oh, and 7.4 sounds on the money, unless you're totally brutal in the way only a magazine road tester would be...
Nick.

·
Registered
722 Posts
so performance times are done 'through' the speeds? I have tried 50-70 by accelerating from 50 to 70 at same time hitting stop watch. I asm doing that in around the 7 second mark.accelearting through the time should see me do it in around 6 secs. Which is pretty impressive.
What are people getting 30-70?(mph) Has anyone tried it?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Not tried that, but these are my third gear times with 3 people in the car:

mph secs
40-60 3.64
50-70 3.59
60-80 3.65

for comparison, 2001 911 Carrera 3rd gear:

40-60 3.6
50-70 3.4
60-80 3.4

·
Registered
312 Posts
So if I kick it down around 45 and wait to start the watch until I roll through 50, this will be a more accurate test? If I start it at 30mph and kick down into 2nd it will pull all the way to about 60mph and 62-6300rpm before it shifts. Would this be a correct time as well? If I do it the latter way it is coming in under three seconds for 50-70! Doesn't seem right somehow.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Yep, tried just about everything with the help of a little black box, Ooh err.

30-70 in third 7.68 secs, regrettably slower than Jez who even had myself and /john as ballast, and /john had just eaten! (Sorry /john couldn't stop myself. When are we going to meet again?)
Nick.

·
Registered
680 Posts
For fun I'm thinking of getting an accelerometer. One called an AC-22 seems to have some good functions (i.e. not just 0-60).

Anyone tried a performance meter?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Aero,
How do you think I measure mine to a hunderedth of a second?! Yep, with the AP22. Great for tuning as even if the figures aren't comparable with a rolling road they are undoubtedly accurate enough to be repeatable and of a very high resolution. If you want 'before' and 'after' figures it's great, and throws up the odd surprise, often the 'seat of the pants' feeling lies.
Bill,
I'll be bringing it to Wales in June, if the track is level enough or a road close by is, then it could be illumuniating.

·
Registered
722 Posts
On my trip home from work I used a digital stopwatch to time myself.
50-70 mph (accelerating from ~45mph through 50 to 70).Best = 4.4 secs, worst =5.2 secs. Average of 4.8 secs. (6 runs)
30-70 mph = wheelspin!!! through 2nd into 3rd. Backed off and changed up very very early. Still got 7 secs for that. (Should see 5 secs in the dry!)
70mph-90mph in 5th was 6 secs (just 1 run)

I know this is way off topic now
, but how does that compare with other people?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by cdcarlsson:
[qb]Bill,
I'll be bringing it to Wales in June, if the track is level enough or a road close by is, then it could be illumuniating. [/qb][/b]
I'd suggest we try to find a nearby road, since we've had trouble zeroing the device at Goodwood in the short time we get while waiting for the green light. Also, I don't know about Anglesey, but it was hard to get a clean start at Goodwood with having to swerve out of the pit lane.

I also intend to try timing some acceleration runs shortly with the aid of a video. Just as with the accelerometer, a single run should yield a variety of timings.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts