Interior light

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: Interior light

Interior light

This is the second of the niggling problems on my 9000 CSE 2.3 turbo. I can't get the interior lights to switch off when I've switched off the ignition and locked the car. As a result I don't use the interior lights at all. Any suggestions please?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Motor Mouth

Re: Interior light

I assume you have the interior light switch in the correct position in which case I would suspect one of the door switches or the interior light delay relay which may have failed in the on position. I think that relay is above the fuses. Remove glove box, drop fuse board down and there are the relays.

Finlay - I take it that you have checked to see if the interior light delay realy dims it after about 15secs? and checked the position of the switch?

position 2 - interior light on all the time
    position 0 - interior light off all the time
    position 1 - interior light on only when door open

If the interior light delay relay is anything like the one on the classic 900 then it is not so much a relay as a small sealed cylindrical unit containing, I would have thought, a capacitor.

/john

I may stand corrected on this

Motor Mouth

Stand or sit John, there is a relay on both the classic 900 and 9000 interior light delay circuit. Well there is for the Saab instalation, obviously inferior aftermarket devices fitted later may be cylindrical units containing a capacitor!!

I was perfectly willing to stand (or sit) corrected and I bow and scrape to superior knowledge.

However, the inferior aftermarket device to which you refer was a Saab part bought from a Saab dealer, despite being cylindrical!

When I spoke to the parts chap I asked him: "so I just plug a relay into the fuse/relay box somewhere, then?" He said No.

I knew I should have kept Schtum! So what's the answer? ;-))

/john

Motor Mouth

Err oopps, maybe I should sit down. Seriously though the 900 (1986 and 1990)definately have a relay. Not so confident about my 9000 Carlsson. If I get a chance over the weekend I'll take a look.

Well, I'm in the 9000 forum speaking only with experiences of the 900 - so it is quite possible you get a proper relay on the 9000. (The 900 was 1991 model year but these things were being used back on the 99 aswell!)
    /john

Did you boys finally decide who was right onthis one?

Saab Afficionado

Yes there is a time-delay relay. The door switches have 2 contacts, one which operates the door lights, the other which triggers the relay. The interior light should come on for 15 seconds or until the ignition is switched on, which ever comes first. The switch on the interior light however has 3 positions - On via the relay, Off, and permanently On.
    If it is not a case of the switch being in the wrong position, either the switch is duff or the relay is duff.

Motor Mouth

Looked at the 900 wiring diagram and that too shows a time delay relay for both early and late models.

I'd like to thank all the contributors - thanks.

13. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements