Exhaust system layout

1. Welcome to Saabscene – General discussion forum for Saab

Welcome to Saabscene - a website dedicated to all things Saab.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Saabscene today!

Thread: Exhaust system layout

Exhaust system layout

In case someone want to improve performance... and replace exhaust

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements

Wastegate

Re: Exhaust system layout

That's horrendous!

Actually not dissimilar to the current 9-3 and 9-5 (and many other modern cars).

The only major differences are that it's a flat 4 engine hence separate manifolds and there is an additional catalytic converter. The pre-cat is almost certainly a particle filter.

The additional complexity is almost all due to emissions control regulations.

Saab Afficionado

The pre-cat is almost certainly a particle filter.

More like a particle generator. More than one pre-cat has melted and destroyed the turbo on those cars. Generally though, it was because of a tuned ECU and low octane. (The IAM was really low so EGT was high.) Nevertheless, it's a dangerous place to put a catalyst and does measurably slow spool up.

Interestingly, despite slowing spool-up significantly, the UP catalyst doesn't cause too much backpressure once under load; removing that catalyst will lower EGT by about 50*F at the exhaust ports, whereas a full TBE will lower it an additional 150*F.

For those upgrading their exhaust, here are a few terms that might be usefull:

- Long downpipe versus short downpipe. Long dowpipe also replaces the midpipe shown in that image. Short downpipe doesn't.

- Axle back exhausts don't replace the midpipe or the resonator, but only the muffler. Catbacks replace the resonator and the muffler, but not the midpipe. A turbo back exhaust, obviously, replaces everything after the turbo.

Some other things to note are that the STi does not have a catalyst in the up-pipe, so it can be used in lieu of your stock pipe. Also, the up-pipe catalyst is very hard to see; most dealer technicians will notice its removal, but, suprisingly, many emission techs don't because it's so hard to see underneath all the heat-shields.

Also, it's a very bad idea to use an intake on a stock EJ20. The stock air-box is capable of well over 300 hp without incuring any significant pressure drop at the turbo. And, because the sensor merely attaches into the pipe, and is not a pipe of its own, most intakes change the sensor readings significantly and require engine management and a custom tune to use properly.

Also, it's advisable to get your 9-2X ECU tuned before getting an exhaust. As of 2005 the EPA drive cycle for these cars stipulates a certain amount of time spent at a stoich A/F ratio and closed loop. In some cases the ECU won't switch to open loop until 5,300 RPM which can cause audible knocking. A turbo-back exhaust system has been repeatedly shown to exacerbate this effect.

Just some food for thought I suppose.

Adrian~

Adrian,

Do you post on 'clubwrx.net' ?

Saab Afficionado

Originally posted by McScooby:
    [qb]Adrian,

Do you post on 'clubwrx.net' ? [/qb][/b]
    I have once for a friend, but only once. Generally I post on NASIOC and WRX Fanatics; at the latter of those two I'm an admin. At NASIOC I'm "SaabTuner" and at WRXF I'm "Thunderbolt".

The Subaru forums often have a lot of really in-depth technical discussions in which the tuners themselves regularly participate. Needless to say I was hooked quickly.

Adrian~

8. Remove Advertisements
    SaabScene.com
    Advertisements